ProcessGuard v3.000 Released!!!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

PROCESSGUARD v3.000 OFFICIALLY RELEASED!
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

After months of work ProcessGuard v3.000 is now ready for official public release! A special thanks goes out to all of our beta testers for their relentless efforts, they are truly an amazing group of people. We would also like to thank all of the people who tested the public beta versions of ProcessGuard v3.000, it certainly helped us release this final version quicker.

If you are already a registered ProcessGuard user you can go to the DiamondCS Members Area and get your new unlock code for this version of ProcessGuard. If you havn't yet purchased ProcessGuard you can do so simply by heading over to http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=purchase

If you purchase online you'll receive your license usually within 10 minutes after the purchase, as it's now an automated process for your convenience. :)

We hope you enjoy the program!
    The DiamondCS Team

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Here are most of the new features listed in a "broad" sense. For some of these items a single line does not do the feature justice, as a lot of them required major reworking to be added which helped in lots of other areas.

-Added Unicode support
    -Added support for ProcessGuard to work correctly on a multiple user machine
    -Added physical memory protection as a new global protection option
    -Added new secure message handling method allowing users to protect buttons or menu options which could theoritically be used to shutdown applications
    -Added new rootkit blocking methods, now covers all known rootkit/driver installation techniques
    -Added ability to determine between services.exe installing a driver and an application which uses services.exe
    -Added new blocking method to handle DebugActiveProcess() on Windows 2000 and 2003
    -Added support for blocking new undocumented process suspension technique available on Windows XP
    -Added quicktips and a new helpfile
    -Added balloon alerts which popup everytime ProcessGuard needs to tell the user something (like Protection is disabled) or if there is an alert
    -Added new systray icons which provide feedback about ProcessGuard's state (active, disabled, learning mode, alert)
    -Added ability to add protection to programs in the Security list through a right click menu

-Improved the uninstall routine, which now makes sure you cannot perform a bad uninstall
    -Improved file logging which is now handled in the ProcessGuard service, allowing the user to still check alerts even if the GUI isn't running
    -Improved the way ProcessGuard starts up, allowing even the slowest machines to be able to use ProcessGuard successfully without any "connection" issues
    -New way of handling alerts, only get real alerts instead of possible alerts
    -New, easier to use interface
    -Can now select/change/remove multiple items in the security and protection lists
    -Secure message handling should now be a lot more reliable and work with a lot more applications "out of the box"
    -Improved learning mode, now learns which applications need protection and which applications need allow priviliges
    -Improved global hook blocking method, increasing stability and reducing compatability issues
    -Combined the previous 6 application protection areas into 3 protection areas, allowing easier application setup and tweaking
    -Improved Execution Protection design
    -Removed Block End Task as one of the Global Protection Options and now treat it as a normal "termination" method
    -Many optimizations added to the ProcessGuard driver
    -Many stability issues fixed in ProcessGuard's driver, now successfully runs through DriverVerifier on all settings
    -Thousands of tweaks and bug fixes, too many to list
    -Tested extensively on Windows 2000 (SP4), Windows XP (SP1+SP2) and Windows 2003

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well done DCS :D

Let the fun begin! .... :cool:

4. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Congratulations DCS :) :D :D.

Best regards,
    Jade.

5. Jason_DiamondCS

If you are currently running a version of ProcessGuard less than or equal to v2.000, then you will want to fully uninstall and make sure both pguard.dat and pghash.dat are removed from your system.

You will usually find these files in your c:\windows\system32 directory, and if they are still there after uninstalling ProcessGuard then simply delete them before installing.

6. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Great Work. Can hardly wait to get started. :p :p :p

7. tech-addict

tech-addict Registered Member

Great job DCS ! Thanks ;)

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Outstanding Jason. Superb program!! :D

9. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Another very powerfull program from DCS, congratulations :)

10. eternalbeta

eternalbeta Registered Member

Up and running like clockwork. Great work! :D

11. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Works great so far. Thanks.

12. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

This new version is SWEEEEEEEEET. :)

13. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

damn Jason and dcs, you guys rock!!!!!!!!!

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Awesome. Thanks to all involved.

Nick

15. steverio

steverio Registered Member

One of my very best programs! Thank you DCS for the wonderful Process Guard!.....running smooth as silk!

16. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Congratulations with this supercalifragilistic program, i've been around on this globe for a while, but never saw something like it.

Proud to be a licensed user !

17. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Oh hale ya. I love this application!!!! You guys are borderline on breaking laws for assault and battery. First you tell us about it and now here comes PG3 kicking butt and taking logs. Tsk Tsk :D

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I uninstalled pg 2.0 and installed 3.0 and it runs great. Painless install. Great program.

bigc

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for this great program!!! :D

Keep the excelent work ;)

20. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I also made the jump from version 2-3. Having not tried any of the betas I am very pleasantly surprised with version 3. Very easy to install/configure and the GUI is so much more intuitive. Thank you to the DCS team and all beta testers for the hard work :)

21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

So far ... FANTASTIC!

Now I have to do a little bit of research to figure out the optimum settings for my configuration. I imagine it is all in the help file. Let me know if there is a better place to look.

Thanks again for a great piece of software.

Rich

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  22. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Thankyou everyone for your kind words, it's great for us to hear that people are enjoying the program and the security it provides as much as we enjoyed researching and developing it :)

23. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

After I had uninstalled (but not rebooted) PG3 (due to problems receiving email with OE), OE started working again. After the reboot, I re-installed PG, followed by the reboot. After the reboot, while in learning mode, I began the process of starting every app I use (including running the updater, where necessary), and that's when I noticed a problem.

I ran SpyBot, followed by the SpyBot updater which happened to hang. I tried to terminate the SpyBot process using Task Manager and was told that

"taskmgr.exe [908] was blocked from terminating e:\program_files\internet\looknstop\looknstop.exe [1392] using End Task".

I assume PG got confused because SpyBot hung during the update and so LnS was somehow involved.

Is this correct behaviour ?

PS. Yay, got all my licences for all the DCS apps within 24 hours!

PPS. I happened to come across this thread

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,7923622~root=security,1~mode=flat

and saw that TH seemed to have the edge with regard to the capability of cleaning parasitic process-injecting trojans! I know this thread is probably a bit embarrassing for you Wayne (having been a naughty boy by dis-assembling TH), but it is also over a year old and I was wondering if TDS-3 has this capability ? or will TDS-4 have it ?

PPPS. Great work with PG 3!

24. DogPile

DogPile Guest

Excellent Smithers...! Now, what about TDS-4...?

25. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

ProcessGuard can clean injecting trojans ;) get infected ? just DENY the injectors from running, reboot, delete all infected files. Couldn't be easier, its a generic solution which is much better, PG can either

a) BLOCK ANY injector in the first place, regardless of detection (unknown trojans are more of a threat than known variants)

b) Help YOU clean any injector just in case you were infected in the first place, before you installed PG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.