Items unblocking themselves

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by shaun barker, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaun barker

shaun barker Registered Member

I am having trouble with items unblocking themselves on Spy Blaster, even if I block them, a few mins later, on checking again, they are unblocked and allowing hackers to get through.
    Has anyone experienced similar problems or does anyone know a workround for this?
    Cheers
    Shaun o_O

2. vht

vht Guest

im having the same problem. i get 4 restricted items unchecking themselves every day

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

The only time I find items unblocked in SpywareBlaster is when I update IESpyad but simply enabling all protection again blocks the items until the next update. Have you any other anti spy/malware programs running which may overlap a little?

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

That is one cause. The other cause that I know of is a spyware scanner removes them. The scanner picks the entry in the registry up and it is a false positive. Then if the scanner fixes it, the entry is removed and spywareblaster on the next run shows those items disabled. Are you running any spyware scanner?

5. shaun barker

I have spyware doctor and spybot but none pick up any registry entry problems but the same 4 items unblock every time I run spyware blaster, even if I have quarenteened them 5 mins earlier.
    Any suggestionso_O o_O o_O

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It may help if you tell us which 4 items it is... It maybe a known problem that we can zero in on once we know which items are effected.

7. shaun barker

4 sites are
    CoolWebSearch (484) I-lookup.com
    CoolWebSearch (92:cool: tenguru.com
    OffshoreClicks.com
    xxxtoolbar.com

I also run spyware doctor, is there any known problems/conflicts running both?
    Cheers
    Shaun

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am almost certain those are False positives of items listed in the Restricted Zone of IE....but unless you saved a log file we want know until next time. Do you recall if Spyware Doctor referred to those Infections as Zango Search ?

Coincident ?
    Reference this post---> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=277037&postcount=1

Notice in that post the Zango Search infections and where they are located in the registry....Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

9. shaun barker

o_O Yes its coming up as Zango search, but also some key loggers, attached is latest scan, done 5 mins after previous scan where items were quarantined.
    log attached, don't know how to get into HCKUo_O??
    Cheers
    Shaun
    Spyware Doctor Activity Report - Generated on [27/10/2004 12:01:09]

Spyware Doctor Homepage
    PCTools HomePage
    Technical Support

Close log

General Information
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spyware Doctor scan started: 27/10/2004 12:00:52
    Spyware Doctor scan finished: 27/10/2004 12:01:09
    Total items scanned: 17867 items
    Total problems found: 5 items
    Total problems ignored: 0 items
    Reference file date: 27/10/2004 10:55:13

Quick Scan. Tool Details
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tools used for the Quick Scan: Process Scanner
    Browser Scanner
    Cookie Scanner
    File Scanner
    General Scanner
    Registry Scanner

Details
    Problem Name (Location) Problem Type Risk
    Super-gals.com (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com) registry key *
    Zango Search Assistant (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\i-lookup.com) registry key *
    Zango Search Assistant (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\offshoreclicks.com) registry key *
    Zango Search Assistant (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\teensguru.com) registry key *
    Zango Search Assistant (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com) registry key *

Legend

* Very Dangerous Spyware
    * Medium-Risk Spyware
    * Low-Risk Spyware

Learn more about PCTools at http://www.pctools.com

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As I suspected....all 4 of those entries are False positives by Spyware Doctor and can be ignored.

11. shaun barker

:D That's brilliant but is this the cause of spyware blaster keeping unblocking itself?
    Cheers
    Shaun

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If ....your letting SpywareDoctor clean those items....it's removing those entries from the registry. When you then run SpywareBlaster....it knows you should have those entries there....but....you don't because SpywareDoctor removed them.

That's one of the draw backs of using an unproven\new program such as SpywareDoctor. It has not reached the point where it distinguishes good entries from bad entries....in respect to the above entries your dealing with.

13. shaun barker

Many thanks for your help, it's greatfully recieved
    Cheers
    Shaun

14. charles barker

charles barker Registered Member

Thank you so much, Bubba, these 4 items have been driving me nuts!! I also have S.D., and Spy Blaster, and have had the same confliction.
    Many feathers to your cap!! You're nice to have around!
    Regards, Charles Barker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.