FingerPrint 2.13 [new]

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NICK ADSL UK, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

A utility to see if any files in one or more directories have been created, deleted, or changed since the last scan. It's useful for checking if a program, e.g. viruses and trojans, has changed your all-important Windows files (this is similar to such security software as Tripwire). The use of MD5 checksums guarantee detection of file changes. FingerPrint can also be used to find duplicate files, search for files with a specific MD5 value, and save MD5 values to file (and compare with). A command line version is also included.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4388.html

2. SillySally

SillySally Registered Member

I am just starting to use Fingerprint, and it's great. However, I have 10 files in my System32 scan that state "Cannot Read, Date/Time" in RED. I thought I had read somewhere that if a file is closed to Fingerprint, then there is trouble, but I cannot find where I had read this (maybe in my dreams, I don't know), but I would like to find out for sure! All the said files are in the System32\config file. :doubt:

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi sally :)
    As we don't normally discuss software in the update section so i wll move this thread to a more appropriate section of this forum for you where you will be better served

Regards

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi SillySally,

The system32\config directory contains the registry hives for Windows (named DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM) and other files related to them. I don't use FingerPrint, but it is not unusual to find that registry hives are not accessible and closed to many programs, such has defraggers.

Nick

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am a long-time Fingerprint user & have never encountered such a thing as this. IMHO this is most definitely NOT a Fingerprint problem.

By searching Google, I find that *weirdness* in system32\config files runs rampant. Therefore, it is likely that your next step should be to run scans with each of your *protective* programs -- anti-virus, anti-trojan, anti-spyware, etc.

If those scans come up empty, then I recommend you seek further counsel in Wilders Other security issues forum. I'm sure one of the first things they will ask you for is a list of names for those 10 problematic files, so have them handy.

As long as your computer runs okay, however, remember the main rule for doctors of any sort: "First, do no harm." ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.