NOD32 scanning my email twice

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by slc33, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slc33

slc33 Registered Member

Can someone tell me how to stop IMOD from scanning my emails twice please?

Just got the program and when I downloaded the trial version it was scanning it just 1 time.....when I bought the program it said to uninstall the trial version first befor you install the bought version...I did....it was after that that the 2 scans of email started.

This is what is attached at the end of each email

_________ NOD32 1.852 (2004082:cool: Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.nod32.com

__________ NOD32 1.852 (2004082:cool: Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.nod32.com

What causes this and how can I get it back to scanning emails just 1 time instead of 2 times.

Should I uninstall and then reinstall ?

Help if possible.....[if someone does answer this please explain the correction in easy to understand language....not that computer smart here right now]

I have looked to see if I can find a solution to this problem and in looking was directed to this forum. There don't seem to be any in the States where I live and most people don't seem to know about this virus program or how to help me ....ISP tech went HUH? And when I mentioned the port # 110 he said that was right and that was about it from my ISP.

Thank you for any help that I receive.
    SLC33

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using an antispam program or a proxy?

For instance

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

slc33,

Welcome to Wilders first of all!

I performed a quick search here and noticed here that ronjor found a link (see post #13), in this case Spampal where double tagging was observed. See the Spampal link for a description of the underlying issue.

Do you have any application that downloads your email for filtering prior to it being passed to your e-mail client? Something like Spampal?

That's all I uncovered - thanks to ronjor's prior detective work.

Blue

Edit - Beaten to the draw by ronjor! As usual!

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

A bigger question should be why aren't you scanning with an updated database? You definitions are 1.852 which was released on 8/28/04. The current defs are 1.895.

5. slc33

slc33 Registered Member

I installed Pop up Stopper early this morning befor I went to work. This was happening days befor I installed Pop up Stopper or Zone Alarm Firewall

My ISP has a Spam program

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Is your ISP's Spam program run from their servers or on you PC? If it's on their servers, it won't matter. Running anything else in the way of a filter that is e-mail based? By the way - what's your email program?

Blue

7. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

They are all on the right track. I had the same problem, using nod32 with spampal in that case. What did I do:

I changed the port in imon from 110 to 9110 0r 1110 and did the same in spampal and my emailclient - that's it. Why?? Cause spampal or whatever other "proxie" (thats a server that checks your mail first delivers them to port 110 and this way nod checs it twice. If you change the ports, it does only once.

Try one thing:

Set the pop3 port in your emailcleint to 1110 and in imon too and tell us what happens

Ruben

8. slc33

slc33 Registered Member

I am updating right now Sir/Mam <G

I usually do any big downloads at night then get up and ck to see if they came in aright as I live in the boonies here and the phone lines out here are around 60 yrs old and s l o w....I get 28800 or 26400 when I get online so I am s l o w for the large ones.....this download of updates will take over 3 hrs for me to download.

Re
    Is your ISP's Spam program run from their servers or on you PC? If it's on their servers, it won't matter. Running anything else in the way of a filter that is e-mail based? By the way - what's your email program

ISP Spam program is run from their servers
    I as far as I know am not running anything else in the way of a fillter that is email based Use Netscape Messenger as email program

Re
    Do you have any application that downloads your email for filtering prior to it being passed to your e-mail client?

No just the ISPs....use to use Norton but when it was due for 2005 version I didn't take it just uninstalled it from computer. That had a Spam thingy on it.

9. tosbsas

You said:

I am updating right now Sir/Mam <G

I usually do any big downloads at night then get up and ck to see if they came in aright as I live in the boonies here and the phone lines out here are around 60 yrs old and s l o w....I get 28800 or 26400 when I get online so I am s l o w for the large ones.....this download of updates will take over 3 hrs for me to download.

###
    don't need to download the machine updates, but get the signature updates - normally about 200k
    ###

Re
    Is your ISP's Spam program run from their servers or on you PC? If it's on their servers, it won't matter. Running anything else in the way of a filter that is e-mail based? By the way - what's your email program

ISP Spam program is run from their servers
    I as far as I know am not running anything else in the way of a fillter that is email based Use Netscape Messenger as email program

###
    Hmm don't know that one - did you try my idea of changing ports if you don't know where to do that - in the line of po3 server ...pop.isp.com but :1110
    ####

Re
    Do you have any application that downloads your email for filtering prior to it being passed to your e-mail client?

No just the ISPs....use to use Norton but when it was due for 2005 version I didn't take it just uninstalled it from computer. That had a Spam thingy on it.

####
    You sure there is nothing left of these guys?? They are a b***
    Please try changing ports

Ruben

10. slc33

slc33 Registered Member

RE
    did you try my idea of changing ports if you don't know where to do that - in the line of po3 server ...pop.isp.com but :1110

Ok I went and looked for where to change POP and never could find it but with the above I now know where to go [one of those its so easy why didn't I know that thing <G]

However

I went ahead and changed Imon to 1110 just to see what would happen and downloaded email and they had nothing that said they had been scanned so I went back and delited the extra 1 and when I sent an email test to myself it showed just 1 scan not the 2 like it was doing and when other email came in it came in the same way.

Not sure what happen or why it corrected itself but its working aright now.

RE Norton
    You sure there is nothing left of these guys??

Yep there seems to be a few things left over from Norton they only show up tho when I do a start up from just turning on computer .these little messages come up telling me they can't find this or that for Norton to work....I got a registery cleaner Error Nuker 2004 and let it lose on Old George and let it clean up my registery and still have these little messges that pop up when I start up computer from just turning on computer. Will have to go to Norton website and see what they tell me to do to get them to go away. I would have thought that the registery cleaner would have cleaned them up but evidently they didn't.

RE
    don't need to download the machine updates, but get the signature updates - normally about 200k

I have the signature updates ck to download but the one that came up when computer came on was the one re You definitions are 1.852 which was released on 8/28/04. The current defs are 1.895. Thats what is taking the 3 hrs to download now.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, this is also an engine update, signature updates are generally from 7 to 70k.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

12. tosbsas

Hey great that it worked - really looks like you are running a proxy somewhere. Would recommend you to try another emailclient :)-) Thunderbird or foxmail comes to mind.

Ruben

13. slc33

slc33 Registered Member

Well its still working aright so I guess its fixed for now...

Re another email program

Am thinking of switching to Mozilla as browser it has a mail program in it. Think it does ..have to go back and reread the website....

Thanks very much for your help

Enjoy the weekend

SLC33

14. tosbsas

You're welcome - anyway emailclient is a matter of choice - I would rather recommend you to use firefox + thunderbird (both use mozilla engine) but a lot better and faster

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.