JavaByte/Verify

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Muerte Roja, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muerte Roja

Muerte Roja Registered Member

I run AVG Antivirus free edition, and I have had the virus "JavaByte/Verify" come up. Symantec doesn't have any information on this virus, and I can't seem to find any place that does. When I open up, java, and go to "Cache" there is no option to delete the JAR cache, only the option to "Clear JAR Cache". I run Windows 98 SE. I have been to the other threads discussing this virus but have had no help there. Any help on how to remove it would be appreciated.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

:D :D :D

You're too quick for me Ron, i was just about to post that thread. ;)

snowbound

4. Muerte Roja

Yeah, I've read that one, but the advice doesn't seem to help me. My problem is that the Cache Tab in Java plugin has only one button (which I have clicked) that says "Clear JAR Cache", there doesn't seem to be any way of deleting the JAR Cache, which is where the virus is apparently. Furthermore, I don't know how to get to the actual folder, and AVG just identifies it, but doesn't delete it. Even more, all the online scans (Panda, Symantec, Housecall, PcPitstop) all don't seem to work anymore for me. They might not becuase I just recently installed Zone Alarm Firewall.

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Clear the cache, that should get rid of it, it is the same as delete. As for the ActiveX based sites, you most likely enabled mobile code control in ZA, Either allow it on those sites you need it for, or turn mobile code control off.

6. Muerte Roja

I have cleared the cache, and AVG still detects the virus. I'll try that mobile code control thing.

If I delete the entire program and re-install it, will that get rid of the virus?

Is there a registry key for the virus that anyone knows of?
    Also, if you want data I have HijackThis and ASViewer.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  7. Muerte Roja

I ran Symantec's online scan and it didn't identify anything. Panda's scan is not working, and TrendMirco's didn't work either, something about connecting to a server didn't work. I was just thinking to myself that this might just be something harmless, but when I started up today I got some weird messages about the printer being offline, and I don't even have a printer plugged in. Any ideas at all?

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Just to be sure your system is clean, you may want to try the steps found here

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

9. Muerte Roja

Ay dios mio, that's a lot of steps...but I'm willing to try about anything, thanks man, I'll do that.

10. Muerte Roja

Well I didn't do any of those things, but I ran Panda's scan a couple of times and there was no virus detected. Furthermore, AVG has stopped detecting it. I would think that it was cured, but this has happened before with the SecThought.E virus. It will detect it, stop detecting it for a while, then start again. Do you think I should still do all that?

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

for peace of mind it might be a good idea to run all of the steps, it is a lot to do but it should be worth it.

bigc

12. eboula

eboula Registered Member

I have the Java/Byte Verify virus also but it isnt in the same file mentioned above. it's supposedly in C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\AAWTMP\C3598671\179F87\Counter.class but when i search my computer for this file it's not there. can anybody tell me how to get rid of the virus in this location?

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Empty your Temp files by doing the following:

Open up Internet Explorer

Click on Tools

Internet Options

General TAB

Temporary Internet Files

Delete Files

Delete All Offline Content.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

14. eboula

eboula Registered Member

that seems to have done the trick. thanks

15. mahdikaz5

mahdikaz5 Guest

i have got two vireses java agv is not deleting them what do i do plz

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If using XP, turn off system restore and restart/rescan.

If you are using Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, update it or use Sun Java.

Grisoft

Microsoft

17. Rhuin

Rhuin Guest

I kept getting this message whenever I ran Ad-Aware. I noticed in the address temp was AAWTMP. I had forgotten to delete my quarantines and it seemed to be picking it up from there. All better now.

18. Muerte Roja

I ran AdAware and it didn't get anything when I had the Byte/Verify virus.

19. Rhuin

Rhuin Guest

I meant in my case I believe AVG was signaling a virus, when there was not one, because of what was quarantined in my AdAware. For me, when I deleted the quarantines I stoped getting that exact message you posted. I was guessing that the AAWTMP in the virus location represented an "AdAWare TeMP" location.

20. Muerte Roja

That's weird because I didn't even do anything, and AVG stopped detecting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.