[Moved from Update Alerts] Compassion vs. Coldheartedness

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Stoneheart, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

On the one hand:

I sympathize with the multitude of internet users who are are terribly bored. They simply need to do something ... even if it's just posting a signature update for a virus scanner. And I certainly do feel compassion for these people.

On the other hand:

Nobody is interested in such update alerts (aka "spam") because every AV/AT scanner has an autoupdate feature. If people do not use this feature they will certainly not follow the update alerts in this subforum. Even worse, people who are really interested in important software updates (e.g., the release of a completely new version with new features or an important bug fix) will not find them anymore since they would need to dig thru gazillions of useless signature update alerts.

This is so completely annoying that I recommend to specifically prohibit any signature update alerts (or to put them into a separate forum where they do not hurt anyone).

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Re: Compassion vs. Coldheartedness

Stoneheart,

Speaking for myself I totally disagree with you. In my case I have some apps. running with non auto-update features or in case they have I disabled them.
    So I like to visit every now and then to see if there are any updates which I should have, no boring at all. The update alerts are in an apart chapter, it is totally free to click on them. So if they are boring you why do you click on them? Don't answer that you did it once, that would not be boring.

Regards,

Gerard

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

for me to be honest this is the most important area on the whole forum. I love to visit it to see which changes software makes, who is working and who's not, and just staying up to date. I love it.

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

You must be pretty bored yourself or why post here? I don't like every prog I have to d/l anything and anytime, I want to know something about it first, how many times has a new version or update of something totally crashed a puter or conflicted with another program?

I lik it too, Infinity and Gerardwil!! :)

Cheers!

Marja:cool:

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Ditto. Besides, the majority of my security apps don't auto update or aren't set to auto-update: host file, Outpost, Spybot, AdAware, SSM, F-Prot DOS, Axcrypt, PWSafe, Abtrusion Protector. Then there are the apps I don't have, but frequent mentions in this forum increase my curiosity about them (e.g. Ewido).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I regret posting this. This is likely to turn into one of those threads that take up an enormous amout of Members' time to respond to a provocative post from someone who can't even bother to register. I LOVE those posts :mad: .

6. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

"In my case I have some apps. running with non auto-update features or in case they have I disabled them."

Which ones? Note that I am talking about AV/AT signature update alerts. (I would also be interested in information about IMPORTANT updates.)

Moreover, why do we need several threads for each scanner?? It would completely suffice to amend the topic of let's say the "KAV Signature Update" thread from time to time. The name of the topic could include the date of the latest update. No need to daily create a new topic.

"I love to visit it to see which changes software makes, who is working and who's not, and just staying up to date."

If people like to know how frequently an AV/AT software producer updates its signatures such signature update threads should be put into a different subforum. Moreover, you do not need more than one thread per scanner or other kind of security software. It would also be great if the threads were alphabetically ordered.

"You must be pretty bored yourself or why post here?"

I am annoyed because I need to dig thru heaps of spam in order to figure out which is the latest version of macromedia flash.

7. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

This forum rocks, man. The signature updates are VERY useful for all the reasons previously described. Keep them coming, please.

8. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

@Optigrab

"Now that I think about it, I regret posting this. This is likely to turn into one of those threads that take up an enormous amout of Members' time to respond to a provocative post from someone who can't even bother to register. I LOVE those posts"

I also regret that you have posted this. Apart from the fact that you are prejudiced your comments are completely beside the point. PLEASE READ MY COMMENTS BEFORE POSTING A REPLY. I am NOT talking about Outpost, Spybot, AdAware, SSM, F-Prot DOS, Axcrypt, PWSafe, Abtrusion Protector. I am talking about the useless signature update alerts.

9. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

"The signature updates are VERY useful for all the reasons previously described."

Only one (!) valid reason has been mentioned: signature update alerts may be useful in order to determine how frequently a scanner is updated.

However, why do we need several threads per scanner? Why can't create a separate subforum for signature update alerts?

10. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Would every member here please refrain from any further posting to this thread :mad:
    Thank you

11. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

F-Prot DOS for one. BoClean doesn't automatically update on my machine because Abtrusion Protector won't let it,and I'm fine with that.

The old AT/AV threads are deleted once new ones are posted, aren't they?

BTW, if you registered and accepted cookies, you could EASILY spot the new threads. :rolleyes:

If you're only looking for one particular app only, there are more efficient ways to find out the latest version than this thread. I'm not even sure that Mcromedia Flash would be posted in this "Security Software" forum.

In the end, it seems the format of this forum doesn't suit you. Totally legitimate complaint. Also totally legitimate for you to post your suggestions to make this forum better. But I think the tone of your original post is managing to turn a lot of people off. Also, you're demanding a long-term change to how things are done around here, yet you're not even registered, so one has to wonder why such a big change should be considered to accomodate someone who might not visit here very often at all.

@Nick: sorry - cross-posted. This thread should be moved anyway.

12. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi optigrab :)
    No problem my friend

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I do NOT use auto-update for ANY of my many security programs. I prefer to know WHEN my system is updating, that way should one of the companies release a bad or buggy update, I will know EXACTLY when I installed it. That way I can use FD-ISR to "goback" in time to before I installed it and have a bug free system again.

Acadia

14. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I think this thread has gone past its Use By Date.

Stoneheart, posting Update alerts in a specific thread is no hassle and is of benefit to some members, even if as they are simply browsing the Index they may see for eg: Update KAV xxx.xxx.xxxx, as like Acadia stated, many like control over updates, and seeing this prompts them to do so. :)

I am locking this thread, as no further usefulness would come of it.

~ TAS

15. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This thread was closed while in the Update Alert section since we don't hold discussions in that section. Since it has been moved to General Topics, where matters concerning this forum, its software and operations are discussed, it has been reopened for continued posting.

16. Stoneheart

Stoneheart Guest

Just for the record:

This is a backup of Part II of the thread. The threats contained in Part III to which LowWaterMark has referred to were as follows: I said that I would post Part II over and over again if it was deleted or unfairly edited.

People who are reading this Part II should also read ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49062 ). Things have been unanimously resolved in the meantime. Let's continue with a proper discussion.

Part II:

"@Tassie

"I think this thread has gone past its Use By Date.

Stoneheart, posting Update alerts in a specific thread is no hassle and is of benefit to some members, even if as they are simply browsing the Index they may see for eg: Update KAV xxx.xxx.xxxx, as like Acadia stated, many like control over updates, and seeing this prompts them to do so.

I am locking this thread, as no further usefulness would come of it.

~ TAS"

I am sorry to do this but the "unique" habits of this forum leave me no choice. Since you always prematurely close/delete what you do not like I have decided that I will simply disregard unreasonable moderator decisions.

Yes. My posting was provocative. What's the problem? At least some people are reading it. Moreover, the truth always hurts ...

The thread was not useless. For instance, some people argued that the signature updates are at least of limited use. This argument convinced me! But it would definately be required to discuss the pros and cons in more detail. Maybe there is a solution which better aligns the interests of the different people.

After re-reading my posting optigrab came with some additional arguments. Some of them may be well-founded (or not). We should discuss them.

Anyway, it's completely IGNORANT [EDITED by Stoneheart:my apologies for this rude expression ] to simply close this this thread now. You believe everything is perfectly fine??

Have a look:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49035

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49031

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49014

Three threads have been opened for more or less exactly the same Kaspersky signature update. That's absolutely ridiculous and of zero use. Shall we post hourly new threads for Kaspersky??

If people were unable to discuss this issue here I would find this embarassing for the Wilders forum."

17. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I find this thread meaningless. I would prefer this thread removed. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.