True Image 8.0 - uses GiB instead of GB

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Just a note for anybody using ATI 8:

TrueImage 8, although it says "GB" when referring to file sizes, is actually using GiB. In other words, a "4GB" image won't fit on FAT32, and a "2GB" image won't fit on an ISO9660 filesystem (DVD). Automatic file size will probably work OK, but if you are setting the max file size by hand to copy the file later you may be in for a surprise.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Will,

According to another post of yours, the fix for ISO9660 DVDs is to split the image into 1.9GB chunks rather than 2GB. Do you know whether this still applies for Build 771? If so, you may feel inclined to release a consolidated update as I notice a number of recent threads have quoted the 2GB file size stated in the TI user manual.

Regards
    Tom

3. wdormann

I'll have to check that when I get home. Since the changelog for build 771 is somewhat vague, I'm not sure if they have addressed the issue. As you can see, this thread hasn't been acknowledged by Acronis, so I'm leaning towards no.

Since I have posted the original message on making a bootable rescue DVD, the download links have changed, too. So I may start a new thread with up to date instructions, including any other updates that I can think of , including multiple DVD backups and file size efficiency. i.e., If your backup takes up 3 DVDs, then you may have a good amount of lost space due to the difference of 2GB + 2GB and what a DVD actually stores.

4. Menorcaman

Sound like an excellent idea and something that's likely to be appreciated by a number of new users.

Kind regards

5. Have been using ti since v6. To write files to dvd's, I just create the images to a hardrive at a size of 650mb and then just burn them to dvd. I get around 4 gb (6x650) on 1 dvd and no wasted space. Have restored from them and they work fine, just prompts for the next dvd. At 650mb one can also burn to cd if desired, so it leaves options for burning.

6. wdormann

Try 635MB instead. You'll get 7 images on a DVD, and still have a reasonably full CD should you go that route.

7. vickie

vickie Registered Member

I am just posting in this thread bcuz i don't see any heading to Post New Message/Topic. I am at a loss --- How can I post a question on a topic in this forum?? If u like u can e-mail me a reply. Thank you.

8. Menorcaman

Hi Vickie,

Scroll to the top of this thread and you'll see a form of directory tree, which in this case ends with True Image 8.0 - uses GiB instead of GB.

To start a new Acronis True Image thread, click on where it reads Acronis True Image. You'll now be returned to the True Image home page where you'll find a button marked "new thread". Click on this and away you go.

If you wish to start a new thread for an alternative Acronis product, click where it reads Official Acronis Support Forum and you'll be taken to the Acronis Support Forum home page. Select the relevant Acronis product home page and once it's displayed just click on the "new thread" button as before.

Happy postings :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.