Spyware Blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by vickie, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vickie

vickie Registered Member

When i go to Spyware Blaster/Tools - Browser Pages/View and change various browser page settings.......there are several items/links i no longer use as those programs have been uninstalled/deleted e.g. my.netzero.net/search.....so how do i "clear" these links?

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello Vickie, welcome to the forums. :)

Try this [I've never done it, but should work].

Go to the Tools / Browser Pages..

Click on the item you don't want.

Click on 'Change'

In the popup window, it will come up highlighted, just hit delete and OK

See Pic.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 031.GIF
      031.GIF
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Instead of clearing the links....you could consider resetting them back to IE's default state ?

via IE....Tools\Internet Options\Programs tab....in the bottom left area select....Reset Web Settings

4. vickie

vickie Registered Member

Tassie: thanx for quick reply...but when I tried your suggestion about hitting "change" then "delete" (on the keyboard) the program(s) are still there and not deleted.
    Bubba: thanx for ur suggestion also. I tried it, and checked "reset web settings" - Apply - Ok....but when i checked SWB the (uninstalled) programs search pages are still being shown. Will these be actuallyactivated when I shut down and restart pc?

5. vickie

vickie Registered Member

Go to the Tools / Browser Pages..

Click on the item you don't want.

Click on 'Change'

In the popup window, it will come up highlighted, just hit delete and OK
    Reply to: TAS, when I click on 'Change' there is no 'delete' button - so i tried 'Delete' on the keyboard. This method did not delete the items and they are still listed in the Browser pages. These items are no longer being used and I'd like to get rid of them. Is there another 'tried and true' method of deleting them?

Instead of clearing the links....you could consider resetting them back to IE's default state ?
    via IE....Tools\Internet Options\Programs tab....in the bottom left area select....Reset Web Settings

Bubba: ur suggestion didn't work either.
    Any further input would be most appreciated. Thanks guys!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Tassie_Devils

hi Vickie....

So that method did not work for you I gave, just to make sure, by "hitting delete" as I stated, I meant to 'clear' the entry from that 'Change' Box that comes up, so no wording of that file you wanted gone ia in there, and OK.

It still leaves it in there?

OK... What you could try is to run a HiJackThis file, find those 'exact' names, put check in box and click 'Fix' to delete them, but if you don't know what I am talking about, that may be a last resort.

You *must* be comfortable doing that though I strongly advise.

The entries should show up under either R0/R1.. see pic...

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

7. vickie

vickie Registered Member

Tassie: I'm not familiar with HiJack This. Do i have to download and install this program first, in order to run it? Thanx again.

8. Tassie_Devils

Vickie...
    Yes, it's a program that is used to detect malware/browser hijackers on your system....

But, in the hands of the uninitiated, it can cause damage if you check and 'fix' the wrong thing.

You can download here [the original author's site is down at the moment].

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

It's a standalone, no need to "install" it....

Download to say desktop, BUT, then create a new folder in say C:/ and call it hijackthis for example, put the file in there. Then execute it. Better yet, create the folder first, then when downloading, change to the folder when it asks where you want it.

Do NOT execute from desktop or if you download to a Temp folder.

When you run it, you will get a result similar to my screenie above, showing lots of entries. Do not post a log in here of what you find, as the Forum no longer does HiJackThis logs. :)

You can then find those entries in the R0/R1 and put a check mark in the box beside them, and click FIX.

It will create backup in the folder when you do, that's why you can't use from desktop, and backups will get lost in a temp folder.

However, I really would only do that if you wanted to. I have never needed to use HJT myself, so it's up to you. I won't be able to advise further on HJT if you use it ok? As stated, I have personally not needed to fix anything.

Why do you want them gone, if they are not doing any harm?

Also, if they are "useless" a Registry Cleaner may be the way to go, I don't know for sure.

I also have some entries showing up in SWB as above, which I don't use, but for sure I am not going to try to delete, just in case.

Cheers, TAS

9. vickie

vickie Registered Member

Thanx Tassie for ur reply re Hijack This. I guess i'm not brave enough to try this. So you think it would be better to leave those "defunct" browser pages without worrying about them? It's just annoying to me that they're just taking up space on my hard drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.