Acronis 8 and Via 8237

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spog, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spog

spog Registered Member

As I reported in a previous post, there is problem restoring images to a sata drive on the Via controller.

Acronis 7 build 613 - Less than 5 minutes
    Acronis 7 build 627 - Almost an hour
    Acronis 8 - Almost an hour

Same image file used in all cases.

So I'm stuck with Acronis 7 build 613.

2. spog

spog Registered Member

Sadly, I must report that the problem is still there with True Image 8 build 768. How hard can this be to fix? It works properly with TI7 build613. Please Acronis fix this problem with the Via 8237 sata controller.

3. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta Registered Member

spog,

At least it restores. TI 7&8 will not restore at all with Promise Controllers.

Are you using a RAID configurtion or a single drive? Also could you share your motherboard info? I'm considering a switch to the VIA controller as my K8T NEO has both options.

Thanks

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

FYI Norton Ghost 9.0 will be out in a couple weeks if this isn't addressed soon. They bought PowerQuest, the maker of Drive Image, so I suspect it should be a decent product.

5. spog

spog Registered Member

Both of my systems motherboard is an Asus A7V600. I'm running a single 200Gb seagate sata drive in one box and 2 ide drives in the other. Acronis boot cd will not run in the machine with ide drives? I am tired of installing every build to try if it works. I bought this software a month ago and I am starting to regret it. The worse part of it is that the trial software will not allow recovery of a boot partition. So how are we supposed to make sure that this thing works? I think I need to start getting familiar with warez sites, cause I can't think of any other way of preventing being ripped off.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Were you attempting to run the Acronis boot rescue disk created via your SATA rig on the 2 IDE drive system? If so then, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe a boot rescue disk will only work properly under the hardware configuration it was created on (needs to contain the appropriate drivers etc).

Regards

7. spog

spog Registered Member

Menorcaman, you've got a good point there that I did not even consider. The boot cd was made on the machine with IDE drives, but works in the machine with the sata drive. The via driver is installed on the PC with the ide drives though. I assumed that support for all hardware is included on the boot disc.

8. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, spog

I thought you said Ti7#613 Worked for you.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Menorcaman

That is not quite right, when working in Windows Ti uses the drivers that have been installed, ie Raid Controller [F6]

The BootDisk does not use the Windows drivers, but Linux base drivers. [I wished it did use the Installed drivers]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

10. spog

spog Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up for us TheQuest. I suspected that all hardware support would be included on the boot cd. I've only tried TI7 build613 on the PC with the ide drives, and it would not boot. That machine is waiting for a new vid card right now so I don't know if TI8 works. I have tested all builds of TI7 and TI8 since build 613 and all newer versions have the very slow image create/restore problem.

11. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Spog
    That would be a good question for Acronis support to answer.
    Just what hardware support is burned onto the boot disk?

12. Menorcaman

Noonie,

I agree. It seems I might have been under the wrong impression that the TI boot rescue media only contains the Linux drivers appropriate for the hardware config of the system it was burnt on.

How about it Acronis Support? It would be helpful if you could provide an authoritative statement for us less informed types. Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

13. Menorcaman

Hi Acronis Support Department,

If you still have time to monitor this Forum (given the numerous tech issues you're no doubt addressing on TI 8.0) it would help a number of us if you could clarify whether:

a. The Boot Rescue Media contains ALL the Linux device drivers included in a particular TI build.

or

b. The Boot Rescue Media only contains the Linux device drivers applicable to the the hardware used to produce the disk.

Regards

P.S.
    If anyone else is sure they have the definitive answer, please feel free to chip in.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Acronis bootable media contains all Linux drivers that are available as an open source ones. As soon as some new ones are released they are added to the media with the new build of the software.

Thank you.

15. Menorcaman

Hi Anton,

Many thanks for the clarification. I sure helps me (and I guess a number of others) to understand just a little bit more about how TI functions. It also proves how important it is to burn a new boot disk for each new build of software, thereby ensuring use of the latest Linux drivers (hence reason I use CD-R/W for all my Acronis boot disks).

Kind regards
    Tom
    (a.k.a. Menorcaman)

16. Menorcaman

Hi Anton,

A final thought from me. Perhaps Acronis could include something along the lines of the following on their True Image FAQ web page:

Question - What device drivers are contained on the Bootable Rescue Media.

Answer - The Acronis Bootable Rescue Media contains all the open source Linux drivers available at the time of a software build release.

What do you think?

Kind regards

17. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman --

I'll pass it on to the people in charge, thanks for the input.

Thank you.

18. spog

spog Registered Member

I just tried TI8 build 771.
    The problem is still not fixed.
    I am getting tired of trying every build.
    I need an imaging program that will work with the VIA sata controller. It looks like I need to find something else. Any suggestions?

19. trichard

trichard Guest

Does Build 774 solve the problem ?

20. spog

spog Registered Member

Still not fixed with TI8 build 774.

21. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/) and for taking your time to report and discuss problems on this forum.

I will contact our Linux developer today regarding the problem with VIA8237 and clarify the situation with this controller functionality under Acronis True Image standalone version.

spog, could you please let me know if you have contacted our Support Team (support@acronis.com) and if yes then please provide me with the email address from which you sent messages.

Thank you.

22. spog

spog Registered Member

I did not contact Acronis tech support right away. I assumed that posting in this forum would do since it is monitored by Acronis. I did finally contact support since it still was not fixed after a few builds. Acronis support # 152442. As you will see if you look at the emails, I was not in a good mood.(I get too emotional at times, sorry).

23. trichard

trichard Guest

This problem is getting far too long to be resolve.....
    Someomre it is a very popular chipset now ....VIA somemore.....
    No wonder spog is getting angry ....

24. Kevins

Kevins Guest

<still> not fixed in 786.

25. reiter79

reiter79 Guest

<still> not fixed in 796 :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.