Command AV autoupdate problem?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Need some help. Striking out beyond spoon fed Norton set up.

I did purchase Command AV for Windows, good deal going for $15 and liked what I saw about it on this forum and about.com.

I looked at the manual and I did not get an installation set up like it states. I specifically refer to the manual, for those who have it, and know this AV software, see page 2-6 under installation I did not get that Auto update box.
    As you can see I can get to the internet no problem. But I get the error message I get "No internet connection", when I click "update now..." button. I did do the configurations on 2-7 and 2-8. Oh, important point maybe, I am on a wireless networked computer with a strong signal.

Also I got the standard message that said I needed to update definitions (good). I had to do that manually. Go to site and load from there page seem to work fine. It put it in the Command file as a patch and I extracted from there. Is that the correct option when not auto updating? I did a scan afterwards no virus.

Can some one help with this and other config tips. Please keep it to terms I can understand. I am novice.

One last question (for now) It seemed like I would be shipped a disk which would work better then the download based on manual install read. Will I still get a disk or did I lose that option when I downloaded. They did not really address it? Thanks :oops:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you have to have a password such as cable/DSL or a network you will need to configure it to connect to the internet It is very simply done. See the screen shot. You have to request a disc when ordering. Y

Attached Files:

3. mercurie

BigC,
    Thanks for the reply. In my post I referenced that I had done manual pages 2-7 and 2-8 configurations. Your screen shots are those configurations. Any more suggestions? :doubt: Thanks but it did not solve it.

4. bigc73542

They have a very good support system, you might give them a call, or online here this is the USA number but they have a different one for each country.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I also bought the $15 special from HERE, thanks to a tip from BigCee. It's regularly $30, uses the F-Prot engine, & scans faster than any AV I've ever tried. Such a deal such a deal! :D

DrWeb is still my main man, but CAV is a great back-up, wot?

QUESTION: Is there any menu or file in CAV where it gives info as to the date & ID of the latest signatures that it has received? In other words, is there a way to see that CAV actually got updated?

grace & peace to all..... bellgamin

6. mercurie

Bellgamin,
    Actually it was me that put the word out on the good deal o_O but that is o.k. don't really care who gets the credit.

To answer your question though. Bring up the window and go to HELP then ABOUT, see... you can click details if you want. ;)
    By the way how is your update working? I was working with it some more tonight including their knowledge base. Still no luck, it's to early to see if "notify" works. But so far manual update is all I can do. :( . I still like it, might get me a backup or secondary too.

7. bellgamin

Well then, thanks to u 2, Merc old chap -- I've got plenty enough gratitude to go around. Getting a 50%-off bargain on a good AV is just about the most fun I ever had with my clothes on. :D

Oh yes oh yes!! Works like a charm.

I don't know if auto update works or not. I use manual by preference because I don't want CAV's scheduler running in the background. As noted, I presently use CAV as a back-up {on-demand only}.

By the way, do you know if Firefighter has ever included CAV in one of his little tests?

live long & prosper... bellgamin

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

A number of things you can try;

1. Preferences>Update Now> try the UK server and see whether you can receive the update. The USA server is obviously the busiest server of the 2 and if you are on dial-up it does take a 'long' time before the autoupdate icon is seen in the system tray. Have you seen this?

2. Try resetting 'credentials' again;

> Site Credentials> Input your username and password again >OK

>Update Tab> Select ' Automatically check for updates/upgrades

>For Virus definition fileupdates and component updates see if selecting ' prompting' makes any difference rather than automatically download and install.

3. Uninstall CSAV, carry out a fresh install and then set out parameters again. Initially when I installed CSAV for the first time I too had problems with the autoupdate; a fresh install seemed to help in this respect.

If you try these suggestions and again you cannot autoupdate, as bigc suggests contact support who are generally excellent. Good luck and welcome to the expanding Command club!

PS, OT. Those of use in the UK have been very lucky in that CSAV has been given away free for the last few years with various computer magazines. Unfortunately, at the present time I have not seen a comparable offer for this year. Therefore, with my license up for renewal in late August I hope, being a UK citizen I can take advantage of the $15 offer over at the USA site, as here in the UK, with Value Added Tax to pay, CSAV retails for $51, a big difference!!!

PPS As far as I know FF has not tested CSAV. Most testing sites use F-Prot for Windows rather than CSAV and the only 'recent' non-Virus Bulletin test I have seen on Command is here;

http://boardadmin.funpic.de/viewtopic.php?t=33&sid=b8e4b7f632ead33cc4c64ff0f3883413

The results on Virus Bulletin are I think not a true measure of the abilities of CSAV and it is generally, like Dr Web, a much better AV than its performance on VB would suggest.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?command.xml

My own personal view is that CSAV is an excellent antivirus with top-notch heuristics and improving trojan detection. Because of its lack of an unpacking engine, scan speeds are lightning fast as new users such as Bellgamin have noticed. Overall, at the present time, I think it is a better package than F-Prot for Windows and more Home users should consider this AV with the very light footprint.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  9. TAP

TAP Guest

Hi all,

As my NOD32 trial period was over and I don't like NOD32. So I want to try Command Antivirus I go to its site http://www.authentium.com but I can't find where I can download a trial version. Please tell me where can I get a trial version.

Thanks

10. Blackcat

You can now see from their website that they are mainly geared towards the corporate market! It takes you for ages to find what you want.

The only trial version I could find was on their UK site; http://www.authentium.co.uk/support/downloads/testdrives/index.cfm

This is the older version 4.90, but you can update to the latest (4.91) from within the program. However, there are only minor differences between the two versions.

On the USA site, a download version is here;

http://www.authentium.com/support/d...FID=331746&CFTOKEN=71764501&LOCATION=csaveast

but whether this is a trial or a full version for registered users, I do not know :oops:

If Command want to break into the Home market, they need to do something about their web sites.

I have always obtained CSAV on disc, so maybe someone who has trialled this AV recently can comment on the above?

11. bellgamin

@TAP- Here's another EASY site to download a trial version of CAV...
    http://www.commandcom.com.au/try/try_before_you_buy.html

Hurry -- if they find out it's an easy site, they might do something to screw it up. {In other words, I agree with Blackcat -- the Command folks need to do a better job with their incredibly convoluted websites.}

@Blackcat-
    Please give us an update as to whether this works out for you. I can't see why it wouldn't.

Isn't the lack of an unpacking engine a serious flaw? Does F-Prot also lack an unpacking engine? Have there been any publsihed tests of AV programs as to their relative unpacking abilities?

12. bigc73542

command has an unpacker according to the tech support person I talked to at authentium [command]

13. Blackcat

CSAV can extract compressed ARCHIVE files such as ARJ/ZIP/CHA etc but cannot unpack RUNTIME Packed files such as ASPack. Therefore Authentium support probably meant the former. These Runtime Packed Files, unlike archives, can unpack directly into memory and are therefore potentially a bigger malware threat.

This is not a major problem as Command AV relies on signatures for packed variants of malware. Therefore as long as Authentium adds these signatures quick enough any ITW threat should be covered.

Some tests do suggest that CSAV has a weak unpacking engine;

http://boardadmin.funpic.de/viewtopic.php?t=33&sid=4b42a061faa9ed8dc5148bac7c8e4323

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=494&mode=thread&order=0
    ( here I am taking the F-Prot engine to be very similar to the Command one).

Most AV's with good unpacking engines, such as Dr Web, McAfee and KAV, have slow on-demand scanners. The latter AV is the 'King of the unpackers' as it can scan inside over 600 different types, which may explain its extremely slow on-demand scanner as it is scanning very thoroughly through your files. But even KAV is vulnerable to 'unknown' packing methods.

Those AV's with no or little unpacking ability, such as CSAV and F-Prot for Windows have relatively fast scan speeds. Even the King of the scan speeds, NOD, has slowed a little as it unpacking engine has improved. In general you cannot have lightning scanner speed and a good unpacking engine, although RAV came pretty close.

Overall, CSAV will offer you good protection even without a good unpacking engine for runtime packed files. NO Antivirus program is 'perfect'.

14. mercurie

What is "unpacking ability" all about? Love to hear you folks talk about it but need to get more PC education. And as this discussion evolved I ask this: I use BoClean and Norton Personal Friewall does this offer any protection to the bad stuff you guys are talking about. o_O :oops:

15. Blackcat

Yes, an Antitrojan program, particularly if it has a real time memory scanner should help in protection against packed malware, such as trojans. A good unpacking engine may therefore indicate good protection against trojans.

I would not worry too much about unpackers but some basic points about AV scanners and unpacking ability are here;

http://www.antivirusworld.com/articles/antivirus.php

http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsSecurity/Articles/ArticleID/37443/pg/4/4.html

BOClean is a very good AT and together with your firewall should offer a good barrier to trojans infecting your system.

A fully patched Windows system, an up to-date AV and Antitrojan, a firewall and the practise of safe-hex should offer good protection against most malware. So your choice of CSAV, BOClean and Norton personal Firewall is a good example of layered protection.

Incidentally, did you solve your auto-updating problem?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2004
  16. mercurie

Blackcat,
    It healed itself half way. Early yesterday morning, for the heck of it punched 'update now' and got a Firewall request (not the usual no internet connection error message). Got the download and it installed. Go figure. Sounds like a firewall issue maybe. I have rechecked the updater block to inform me about updates. Will eventually see if I can fully automate the updates. If I can not, I signed up for email notification and as long as I can load it up by pushing update now I'm good. Thanks for the information and assistance. all the best ;)

17. Blackcat

I have just heard back from Authentium UK, who state that UK citizens can purchase the $15 special offer CSAV at the USA site, but that NO SUPPORT is given at EITHER site. If you need support this is an EXTRA charge.

Therefore, has anyone here, who has taken advantage of this special offer, been able to use support without any extra charge?

Incidentally, Authentium UK indicated that just because a new version of F-prot for Windows is due for release, does not mean that CSAV 5 is just around the corner! In fact reading between the lines (sent) CSAV 4 will be with us for the forseeable future :(

18. mercurie

Blackcat,
    I never needed to contact support. CAV 100% functional including update notification. Cool how it puts a gift symbol in the icon tray lol :D

Found all the help I needed from my own brainpower and most importantly the good people here!! Thanks eveybody!! :D

19. sard

sard Registered Member

When you fill in your details on that page they send you an email with links for the trial download, but they are all dead :(

20. Blackcat

21. bigc73542

the current version is 4.92.1

Attached Files:

22. sard

sard Registered Member

How are you supposed to update the trial version? It asks for a username and password when you connect to the server o_O

23. Blackcat

The only available demo is version 4.90 but you cannot update it, as you have found, without a valid username and password( you have to purchase the program for these).

But there are no MAJOR changes between v.4.90 and the latest version, 4.92.1. and therefore it will still give you a good idea how this AV will run on your computer.

However, if you contact David Millward at Authentium UK; dmillward@authentium.co.uk he will give you a temporary account name etc to use to upgrade to version 4.92.1.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.