KAV 5.0.142 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

This is NOT a trial version. Once you install the trial and the trial key is registered, you should be able to update it to the current version.

ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/english/homeuser/kavpersonal/

Here is release_notes:

Version: 5.0.142 Release date: 18.06.2004

Enhancements:

1. Now OnDemand Scanner operates in SafeMode.

2. The application can be installed/uninstalled in SafeMode.

3. The name of a detected virus is displayed in MailChecker reports.

4. Detailed reports are now generated for the MailChecker component.

5. The application installed on laptops provides excellent support for power saving mode.

6. The application supports PAE mode (compatibility with Windows XP SP2).

7. The license key used with the previous version of the application can now be used with the new version if the application has been upgraded.

Known problems:

1. When OnDemand Scanner is scanning messages containing RAR archives, an application error occurs on the Exchange server.

2. The application is incompatible with the WinMagic application.

3. When scanning extremely large files, the application "freezes" if someone tries to unload it from memory.

4. OAS can occur when suspicious or warning objects are placed manually to the quarantine. The disinfect dialog box for the quarantined object is displayed.

5. There are some non-localized messages (only in English) in the MailChecker module.

6. The application does not prompt for password when scanning protected archives placed to the quarantine by the user.

7. The MailChecker component works incorrectly with the Magic Mail Monitor application if the mail is collected at startup: message headers cannot be downloaded from the mail server (improper use of the POP3 protocol by the Magic Mail Monitor application).

Source:
    http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=40d7033c1191ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=535

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I can't have this version of KAV with NOD32... :(

3. tazdevl

Can't comment on that. But it doesn't make much sense for a AV company to be sure its product is compatible with their primary competitor.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I know, I only comment that because before I can...

5. tazdevl

Experiences so far:

Running OK. Laptop seems slower with 142 versus 132 beta. Apps open slower, boot slower, page loads with IE are slower, nothing major but I did notice it. Also, right click context menu seems less responsive as well i.e. delay.

Some issues that remain unadressed:

- Still have rapid drive fragmentation. Only happens with KAV, doesn't happen with any other competing product. Nothing wrong with drive. Uninstall KAV and fragmentation issues go away. I have yet to get a decent or straight explanation as to why this happens. Disabling RT scanning while degfragging is an unacceptable workaround.

- KAV 5.0 still causes ridiculously long defrag times, between 3 and 5 times longer than any competitor. I've received the typical response from some of the other techs which is "because it scans everything". This is a cop out explanation in my book. Competing products do the same thing, so why does KAV cause defragging to last so long. This happens with windows defrag and diskeeper 8.0.

- No flexible update options (5 mins after hour).

- No command line executable. Very handy for IM apps. Also can integrate scan into Windows Scheduled tasks which provides much better options as to under what conditions a scan can begin versus the scheduling options in the app.

- Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Updates Folder is created in my Shared Folder. Ummm simple question, why? Makes no sense whatsoever. Yes I do share my Shared Folder on a network, but updates should be downloaded to the program files folder.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Far to be perfect...

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear tazdevl, i didn't use the 132 BETA but using the 142 now. it certainly slowed down my system slightly. though its negligible but its detectable. i'm not experiencing the fragmentation problem or the slow defrag problem. yes but i do agree with you regarding the updating option. i'm not missing the command line as i scan everything i recieve from any source. my RTM does that for me. you can tweak your registry to move your database folder elsewhere though its not recommended. i hope you're pointing towards the BASES folder deep inside ALL USERS. if you meant the folder "Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Updates" inside SHARED DOCUMENTS, it can be changed by configuring the updater to update from a different LOCAL FOLDER instead of the Internet.

8. owziee

owziee Registered Member

What kind of problem(s) are you experiencing? Are you running both av's on-access at the same time?
    I only have NOD32 as my on-access scanner and KAV as on-demand only. I wonder if that would still work with this new build before I decide to update.

9. owziee

owziee Registered Member

Is anyone else using this version and NOD32 in their system succesfully? Would be good to know before I update.

Would be grateful for an answer.

10. the mul

the mul Registered Member

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I only have the NOD32 active, the KAV is for on-demand because the version 5.0 doesn't work very well on my system...

But with this version I can't install it because my PC doesn't run with both installed...

12. owziee

owziee Registered Member

Ok. Thanks for the replies.

I've updated to this new version 5.0.142 now & it works fine in my system with NOD32 installed. I only have NOD active aswell. Knock on wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.