DriveCopy12, SSD, and 8.1

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ret2961, Oct 28, 2013.

1. ret2961

ret2961 Registered Member

Out of ideas...

I used DriveCopy 12 like a champ to migrate Windows 8 to my SSD, and would run the OS from the SSD and use the old drive as storage. All was well until 8.1, which got boinked. I re-copied the SSD over and over, and it will not boot. It says successful, I can see it in the BIOS, I can see it in the disk manager. But it will not boot.

I bought another drive, and I get the same result. All shows it worked, and I can see all the files, but 8.1 simply will not boot up my system (8 worked fine).

Any ideas?? I'm at my wits end...

UPDATE

Screwing around in the BIOS, I changed something about the SATA controller (n00b alert), and it gave me an error on reboot about BOOTMNGR missing. Reset the controller and booted to the legacy drive and that worked, but no SSD. Make any sense?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Could you please provide some more info?
    Screenshot of DriveCopy where your source and target drives are visible would be very useful.

If you can post it here or upload somewhere, I guess I'll be able to help you.

3. ret2961

This is as far as I can get without re-writing again. Is there something else I can get for you?

I can't post attachments, so try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwn06fixf4u8ktz/DC.jpg

Funny how Windows 8.1 is an "unknown version"...

Thanks!

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Again, as stated in previous posts, the 12 series of Paragon Software does not support the Windows 8.1 version, numerous things in the update have changed how the operating system is recognized. The 14 series of Paragon Software should be released within the next few weeks which will support Windows 8.1

5. ret2961

one more thing I wish I would have known YESTERDAY

6. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

I apologize for the inconvenience, but Microsoft Windows 8.1 is a major release, not just an update, it's why in our features list is specifically states that is supports Windows 8 only.

7. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

ret2961
    Please show screenshot of 'Disk Management'?

8. ret2961

9. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

@ret2961,

It appears that you have MBR\BIOS configuration.
    You can Migrate your Windows as follows:

> Create Windows Repair CD (if there will be any boot errors)

1. From the Windows 8 Start screen, type recovery.
    2. In the search-results pane that appears, click Settings, then click Create a recovery drive.
    3. If the option isn't grayed out, check the box marked Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive. (Without that, you'll get only system-repair tools, not a full reinstall capability.) Then click Next.
    4. The tool will tell you how much capacity you'll need for the backup. By default, it will create a bootable flash drive, but if you don't insert one, you'll see you can also click Create a system-repair disc with a CD or DVD instead.
    5. Follow the remaining prompts to complete the process.

> Perform Disk Copy

1. From full scale Drive Copy run Copy HDD wizard.
    2. Select your source HDD and target SSD
    3. Use all default settings (we can get rid of Recovery partition which probably won'y work after migration later) and apply the operation.

Get rid of Recovery partition
    Right-click copied Recovery and select Delete. Apply changes.
    Right-click copied system partition and select Move\Resize
    Enlarge copied system partition to cover all unallocated space
    Apply changes.

> Switch boot device

1. Once SSD is ready, restart your PC, enter BIOS and set your SSD as first boot HDD.
    Save changes and restart

2. If Windows boots OK - migration is completed!
    If something went wrong, boot from Windows Repair CD and perform standard startup repair.
    Restart and check if Windows boots from SSD correctly.

Once all done and Windows works OK, you can repartition your old drive or remove it.

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

[ This doesn´t work in 8.1. It only accepts a USB drive. ]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.