Seriously? USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware & trojans to combat piracy?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Dermot7, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2013/05/27...ware-ransomware-and-trojans-to-combat-piracy/

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Emsisoft - U.S. Congress shall legalize malware to combat software piracy

It's an interesting article.

BUT, the suibject of this thread is 100% misleading in that it suggests that Emsisoft is proposing US Congress legalize malware. That is completely opposite of what the article is suggesting.

I think the OP should change the subject of the thread.

Pete

3. Dermot7

Sorry Pete, yes I didn't intend to mislead (of course), and tried to edit, but only seem to have fixed my 1st post. Could it be fixed by yourself or other mod, please. Sorry, Dermot.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1694348&postcount=2

edit: Added info from LWM.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. itman

itman Registered Member

I guess one could argue that all government spyware is malware? Is this really different from your ISP blocking your connection because your part of a botnet; known or unknown?

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread's Title Changed As Requested.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Right... their sugar must be low... :argh:

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, it's different. The ISP isn't infecting your system and possibly spread malware into corporate environments. (I do believe such system (ISP botnet blocking) should be optional, though. That said, I'm not sure mine stops anything. Never bothered.)

8. Dermot7

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Possibly the worst idea I've ever seen.

10. Dermot7

One wonders if they thought this thing through...from Computerworld link:

11. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

In order to fight criminals or terrorists, everything is justified. But how do they know, if you are one? According to their own measures, if someone thinks so, then you are.

14. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I can see it now. They will try to bait you to a website where they will show you a video or play some copyrighted music. Then they will accuse you of piracy and hold your PC for ransom. These companies should be boycotted out of business.

15. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If something like this becomes law, and considering that big money tends to get what they want, it would open an interesting can of worms. If such malware becomes legal, will AVs legally be allowed to detect it as malware?
    Those law changes would cut both ways. AFAIC, the above quote spells out what our response should be.

16. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I don't see this being any more or less effective than other attempts at restricting the pirating of content. It's not like the folks facilitating and participating in this type of activity are incompetent. ISPs threatened denial of service and what was the first immediate result? public hotspots and businesses had to worry that their internet service would be disconnected. Now they want to market us drm-content with malware-like capabilities. So what happens when randsomware starts to mirror the pop-ups/activity of legitimate DRM events? Though in my honest opinion, this is ultimately going to fail for one simple reason. No matter how smart you may think you are, you can not best collective thinking. Not to mention, this type of protection is going to have to by-pass a handful of security applications. It is already common practice to install pirated content inside a sandbox or VM. I'd be interested to see how they get around this. Presuming that the distributors of this content don't find a way to nullify the DRM before sharing it. Copyright protection has so far been nothing more then a very sad and pathetic joke. The people prosecuted for these types of crimes are far and few from the sum of participants world wide.

17. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

18. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

19. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.