Paragon destroyes unrelated Partitions

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by WYC999, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Hello all,

today i have a nightmarish day. I purchased the HDM 12 professional and made i wanted to test the software a little. Nothing Difficult it was just an image of the Systempartition of my Laptop (Win7 64bit machine).

For testing puroposes i tried to to just create an image of C and restore it and have a look at the results. Oh boy i should not have done this.

First i tried to Restore with the Assistant in Windows. It took forever, so i clicked on abbort (which took forever to) then after a while it said that the action was finished.

Then i tried this via the Rescue CD. Now it ran smoothly through.

Before my System looked like this:

C: Systempartition
    D: Data (Userprofile saved on it)
    G: Data Partition
    H: pretty much empthy Data partition
    I: Truecrypt partition 50 GB

And a Acronis Securezone Partition (is a Partition in which Acronis stores its Backups)

After restoring C The big Schock. Paragon absolutely destroyed the last 4 Partitions !!!!!! What the ****. System looks now like this:

C:
    D:
    G:

rest is unallocated space and gone!! How the hell can Paragon **** up several Partitions which have nothing to do with Partition Co_O?

1. What happended?
    2. How to fix it - i really need my data especially from the Truecrypt volume back?

Really hope someone knows what to do here since i tried already to restore an image of C of the MBR with ACronis and it didn't work out. Paragon really worked those other partitions. And I thought "hey if i make an Image of C with Acronis, then Paragon can **** up C and i still have everything i need"

How wrong i was..

Really hope someone of you can help - My last Backup of the Truecrypt drive is 3 Weeks old and i don't want to lose all that work.

2. routerguy99

routerguy99 Registered Member

I would call Tech support; there pretty good to work with;

Chris

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The problem may not be related to this, but it´s not a good idea to have two different imaging programs installed at the same time. One program must be uninstalled completely before installing the new. If you want to use two different programs (a good idea), use at least one of them from a boot medium only.

4. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

the weird thing is, that i am not able to use my ACronis rescue CD's (yes i made several) anymore!!! The where working fine the last time i used them.

How can in God's name can Paragon hinder those CD's from working!!!! How is that even possibleo_O

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Similar things used to happen with Acronis and it may be possible with Paragon (I don't know) when a partition was imaged and then a restore was done with the whole disk selected rather than just the desired partition. The program would put back the the partition and assume that the others weren't wanted and delete them resulting in a lot of unallocated space.

There is a chance doing the first abort may have upset things since one of the first steps in doing a restore is to delete the existing partition but that should only have been for the one being restored unless the above situation occurred.

You need to stop using this disk and put it in as a data disk only so you don't overwrite anything. There is a chance if the partition tables are restored you will have your data - I don't know if HDM will find them and do that.

I don't know why your Acronis disk won't work but then again, I don't know what it is doing. It certainly should boot up and let you see the disk as it is.

6. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

Sir :
    You have failed to obey a basic rule of HDD-geometry :
    KISS !!!
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle )

I won't go into details, because frankly :
    Based on your description,
    I have absolutely NO IDEA how your setup really was ..
    And even worse : EXACTLY what did you do o_O

7. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

^^+1.i always tell people to follow KISS principle especially regarding softwares.don't make too many partitions,don't use fancy features like secure zone(actually never liked it in the first place) & certainly don't install & use multiple softwares for things like imaging/partition management etc.i don't even recommend installing imaging software just use the win PE based rescue/restore CD to both create & restore images.unless you consider yourself an expert(here is a hint:if you need to post to solve your problem then you aren't) do not deviate from KISS principle.

8. jdm5000

jdm5000 Registered Member

Just booting off the Linux recovery disk that Paragon's software make destroyed one of the volumes of my RAID array, which wiped out the whole thing.

Nice job, Paragon.

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Strange. AFAIK, all that booting off the recovery medium does is to load the Linux OS into the computer´s memory. It doesn´t touch your disks, not until you do something explicit to modify them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.