A Newbie Question

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by AceyDucey, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AceyDucey

AceyDucey Registered Member

Does Spyblaster start automatically each time I turn my computer on? Or does it just lay back on the hard drive and "watch".

I am confused about this and can not find the answer anywhere,

Thank you,
    Acey

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareBlaster provides passive protections, so it does not need to run in the background...

When you first run SpywareBlaster and tell it to Enable All Protections, it sets flags in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general spyware and malicious dialers. It also adds a list of spyware sites to the restricted zone in IE, and blocks a list of known spyware related cookies for IE6 and some other supported browsers. These registry settings / flags are themselves the protection provided by SpywareBlaster. After they are set, the program can be closed and the protections remain active.

After first enabling all protections, you should run SpywareBlaster periodically, say once a week, to check for updates to its database. Other than that it doesn't need to be running to provide protection, so there are no processes run either at startup or in the background, and this protection stays in place following reboots, as well.

3. AceyDucey

AceyDucey Registered Member

Thank you. You have answered my question completely!

4. sard

sard Registered Member

Is this method the same, or how does it compare to the immunisation provided by Spybot search and destroy?

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Vertually the same, however you will see the message in Spybot S & D that you are running Spyware Blaster that will do a better job...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.