Some thoughts on all-caps, fonts, etc

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by MikeBCda, May 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

Just a few comments on a topic that drove some members (and Paul himself) up the wall in another forum here.

There are some of us who do have vision and/or other cognition problems for which we need to make allowances. As a senior (age, that is, not my membership here) plus brain injury survivor, I'm active in other groups where that's a common problem.

On games sites with rooms for seniors where there's no choice of fonts, some will need to use all-caps -- we make a point of asking them if that's necessary, or just an oversight, and if the latter we quite happily accept it. We recognize that under the circumstances it's not "shouting".

If you're posting to a board like the forums here and need extra-large to see while you're composing, the standard recommendation is to use a word-processor and use your large font there, then copy-and-paste into the posting here. I don't know for sure how the vB software here works (I'm sure Paul or one of the mods can fill in for me here), but most boards will convert back to their standard font when you paste to them.

And as been pointed out numerous times, if the large font is for the purpose of getting attention rather than for your own needs, kindly refrain -- it only attracts negative attention.

Best to all,
    Mike

As a P.S. -- I tried one over in the "Testing" forum, and (from Notepad, at least) the vB here does quite happily convert the pasted text back to standard size, so there's no hint of the original oversized font when viewed here.

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Removed unecessary reply - Detox

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mike,

We have no problems in any way in case anyone who has to overcome visual problems to use the "size" drop down menu (in the middle on top when answering/creating a post) in order to have larger fonts. Give it a try ;).

regards.

paul

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

True, i tried some time with the WYSIWYG editer, so i saw large fonts and all i was trying to do with text artwork, but i'm not really comfortable with it to bring it back to "normal" for not seeing where the codes are. But for just from large during editing to normal size 2 to posting it could be an idea.
    My IESpell checker doesn't work with it, so the first reason to stop using it.

5. MikeBCda

Thanks, Paul - Jooske had posted the same info (with a little more detail) over in "Test", and I thanked him and you there. But thanks again here, in case (probably) you don't see that one. :)
    Best,
    Mike

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

As long as it works: I for one am a happy camper! :cool:

regards,

paul

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Paul !!!!!

Warm regards, Jan.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

yes and i couldn't let it out to show some more with the nice fonts options.
    BTW you can say "she" and "her" for me, being female. Thanks.

9. MikeBCda

Whoops, sorry, Jooske. :oops: That's one of the few drawbacks of the vB here, we've lost the gender-indicators.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

as long as we don't lose ourselves it's all OK

11. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Mike, glad to see you here too!

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Not to be silly or anything, but everyone keep in mind cntl+scroll wheel! :D

13. MikeBCda

Hi Technical, small world, huh? ;) I've been here about as long as over at avast, give or take a week -- got a slight head-start on you with postings here, but give it time, you'll be a few thousand ahead of me here too soon enough. :D

14. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Cheers gentlemen... :)
    World is not so small but it's hard to miss Wilders'... :-*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.