Diary of a x64 W7 Repair Install...The Good the Bad and the Ugly!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Despite rarely using IE, while trying to install IE 10 I discovered that IE 9 was mostly useless but occasionally fast. Then 10 would seem to install normally but wouldn't launch. I tried all the fixes available on the MS site to no avail so I figured I'd try the repair.
    The five or so copying, saving, re-writing parts with several restarts went smooth and took about half an hour. Things kind of went down hill after that. After entering my OEM product key, I was constantly nagged that the version was expired and simultaneously informed that I had an unauthorized copy. One prompt directed me to MS where they tried to sell me a new version for $100. To their credit though, they had an automated activation telephone number and although you have to jump through some hoops with twice providing seven sets of six numbers, it did activate.
    The next issue was NET Framework 4 was missing. When I went to update that, there were 72 critical ones and 35 optional. I assumed they would have been saved. The reboot after the 72 never really finished as after four hours I held my breath and forced shutdown.
    The only other things missing was Comodo's (old) firewall and an ASUS app for my mother board. In that regard I'm pretty impressed that all other apps seem fine.
    Last but not least, after determining that IE 9 functioned normally every time, I installed 10 and it works great too, so I guess the aggravation was worth it. Not in the context of IE being worth it but in the context I achieved my goal!
    Oh yeh, one other thing, my drive has 10gbs less room now. Not sure why that is!

2. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

ughhh... in those moments I just don't bother to troubleshoot and restore to a clean image.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You should be able to get that back by running Disk Cleanup as an Adiminstrator.

Go the the Atart menu, and type in disk cleanup, then right click on the Disk Cleanup icons and select Run as administrator.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.