Monitor - 24" (1920x1200) or 27" (2560x1440) ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by tepe2, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I have ordered a new computer. I also need a new monitor. I will go for one of these two:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=4&baynote_irrank=0 Dell 24" 1920x1200 16:10

http://search.dell.com/searchcom_re...ch&redpe=a4c2c9ff-2ccd-877d-37a6-e03474458ea4 Dell 27" 2560x1440 16:9

I dont know which one to choose. Important: put money and quality/picture quality aside. I only need help to choose the right size and resolution for me.

Regular use like internet, email etc. But I will also work with home videos. Dont know if I will use Adobe Premier/Elements or other paid or free program.

I will only use one monitor. Not two.

Which one will be best for internet browsing and regular use? For video work I guess the 27" will be better? Or is 27" too large? I would love to find some pictures or drawings side by side comparison.

Today I have 17" 1280x1024

Edit: Oh I found this: http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

Another question: With 27" I can have two webpages side by side full size? But how does one webpage or only one window fit on 27" ? It cover the whole screen or big part of the screen unused?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I would go for bigger monitor assuming your graphics card can support and you have sufficient space for it.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Graphics card and other hardware should be no problem:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=338826

It is the horizontal size of the 27" that scares me a bit. I will do some video work but most of the time is regular use. But also with regular use I sometimes use more than one window at the same time.

I try to find pictures or videos of comparison. And how internet browsing look on 27".

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I am not a gamer.

I know the 27" 16:9 would be better for videos, but put that aside too. 24" 16:10 would be good enough for videos in my opinion.

I worry about two things:

1. Is 24" 16:10 good enough to work with home videos? (Can not have 2 full size windows)

2. Is 27" 16:9 to wide for regular use? Too big screen? The distance between me and the screen is like normal.

5. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Larger resolution monitors are great for actual work as in multiple windows open at the same time or applications that can have 1080p AND tool boxes on screen at the same time. If this sounds like you then 2560x1440 is the way to go.

My workstation has 1 30 inch 2560 * 1600 and 4 1920 * 1080 (2 vertical) and I make use of all of them so I cant see a 27 inch monitor being "too big" unless the actual resolution is going to waste.

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I may go for the 27". I guess this means I can have two full size webpages side by side. And I guess that would be impossible with 24" ?

7. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Well, the size of the screen does not actually matter, its the pixels that allow for more on screen at once and yes the larger monitor in this case does have a lot more pixels.

There is also no exact page resolution but at 2560 X 1440 you will be able to double up in most cases without the pages looking all bunched up. 2560 X 1440 is essentially 720p X 4 so any page that works correctly on a 720p display can be doubled up on 2560 X 1440.

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I am not sure anyone can really help you on this. This is really something you need to decide for yourself based on your own set of personal circumstances.

Like mice and keyboards, we all have our favorites but what "feels" good in my hand may not in yours.

There are too many variables when it comes to monitors. How close do you sit to your monitor? Are you limited by height (my desk has a hutch, for example) so I cannot use larger than 24" and even then, the monitor MUST have height adjustment - and most don't! :( :mad:

For me, sitting 2 feet in front of a 27" monitor is just uncomfortable for me and too much "in my face!".

My preference (now necessity) is at least two monitors on my computer. And I use my computer for computing tasks, not watching movies. If I want to watch TV or a BR/DVD movie, I'll go watch my TV. Or, toss the movie up on monitor 2 while I work on monitor 1.

There are many advantages to having more than one monitor and the biggest is being able to display pages side by side (4 Word pages for example), without one affecting the other. If I want to set something aside for a bit, it is easy with two monitors.

With one big 27" monitor, your head will be bobbing up and down as well as back and forth. Constant up and down is not natural for humans (especially if you wear bi or trifocals. Side to side motion is much more natural for humans and much easier to keep the screens in your focal length (if you wear glasses).

So to me, if you insist on my opinion, the answer is obvious - get two 24" monitors. You get MUCH more space (desktop real estate) than with a single 27" monitor and it is much more ergonomically pleasing when you have many opened windows on your screens with two monitors that are not as tall as one big one.

9. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Let me elaborate a little and suggest the same but to set 1 vertical. This will reduce the total desk space taken up and you may be surprised that some things work much better with huge vertical resolution. For example email often benefits more from vertical resolution, so does chat. On my workstation I have email on one vertical monitor and chat on the other. I very rarely need to scroll anymore due to this configuration.

Perhaps 1 24 inch 1920 X 1200 and then 1 vertical 21 inch 1920 X 1080 would be even better as this would further reduce the space taken up and save you at least $100.

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Not limited by height. And both monitors have height adjustment

I understand, and this is something I worry about. It is a big step from my old 17" up to 27".

Comparison below between my old 17" and 24"/27":

17vs24.png

17vs27.png

In the beginning I did consider two monitors. But I dont think so.

I guess I could buy the 24" for daily use like internet etc.... And for video work I could use both 24" and my old 17".

11. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

And the two I have to decide between:

24vs27.png

Of course this comparison say nothing about how much info you can fit into the screen.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If you plan to do serious gaming on your setup, go for the 24-inch screen to ensure you get good performance.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have a 21" Monitor and i already feel it's huge for things like web surfing and gaming . . . i can't imagine a 27" Monitor for my basic daily needs LOL. :eek:

14. Bill_Bright

Is that a widescreen or standard 4:3 monitor? I note my old 19" 4:3 is taller than my newer 22" 16:10 widescreen. So on some stuff, the 19" does seem bigger.

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah widescreen 16:9, my small computer desk is already running out of space with this behemmoth . . . I couldn't imagine myself using a 27" or bigger screen as a monitor, i would feel like watching a TV. :D
    I just got it a few months ago because my beloved 17" CRT stopped working suddenly, i really loved the CRT man, unlimited viewing angles and colors were a LOT more accurate, i wanted to buy one again but no one sells them anymore.
    It was an LG Flatron CRT from like 7 years ago.

I looked like this one:
    [​IMG]

I still miss that Monitor. T_T

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  16. Bill_Bright

There are still a lot of people who feel CRT monitors offer "warmer", more realistic displays than LED monitors. And for many years, they did. But today's LCD technologies and super high resolutions - not to mention lower power consumption and much less heat generation - has forced CRTs into obsoleteness. And LEDs coming big screen sizes made a big difference too.

But to your comments about viewing angles, shop around. There are many LED displays that offer very wide angles and color accuracy is no longer an issue - at least if you stay away from the entry-level, budget lines.

17. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Monitor(s) maybe even a bit more than the actual PC needs to fit your needs. You can deal with a PC that is a little too slow but a monitor that is too big or too small can make you crazy in a hurry.

As proof that I have already gone totally crazy here is my setup :p

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now that's the problem, i have a limited budget. I ended up purchasing a LG LED Backlit LCD for around $150.
    My CRT back then was even cheaper than this (Around $120) and it was great IMO.

Hahahaha the screens at the top looks like . . . useless i mean no one can stare at those monitor for more than a couple minutes or they will end up with some neck pain. :argh:

19. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

You cant tell from the pic but they are angled downwards at quite an angle so they are actually easier to read than they look. The center monitor is the primary work monitor, left is work IRC, right is work email and yammer, upper left is for opening links that may be dangerous/I know are dangerous and the upper right is for media/music while I work (I am one of those guys that cant work in dead silence). Each monitor gets its own VM as well so every task is isolated. The lower 3 are more for tasks that require reading and the top 2 are used more for 'just press go' tasks, they are also 27 inch 1080p so they are really big for their resolution which makes them easy to read even at a distance. This has been my setup for more than a month now and I totally love it, it does everything I need. When I am at other office (one monitor and 2 laptops) I find it annoying as hell that I have to constantly minimize/maximize and look at tiny laptop screens, this setup is sooo much better.

20. Bill_Bright

I think you just like the thump thump from that subwoofer between your legs! :doubt: :blink: :D

21. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I must admit that the sound system is the only component that has no practical work application :p

22. Bill_Bright

I actually disagree with that. If I don't get Pandora or SiriusXM Radio going when I sit down to work, I seem to stumble along and can't get into doing what must be done. Once I get my tunes going, I get into a rhythm and get more work done.

Maybe it is just in my head but at least feels as if I get more work done.

23. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Both of those monitors are quite nice. I have been using a 1920x1200 27 inch for the last 4 years. It is great and always gets comments when people see it, but it I had it to do over again... I would get dual 24's instead.

24. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.