Restore from CD or Program?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by skulldrinker, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Registered Member

Restore from CD or Program? SOLVED

In the past I have been able to restore an image from the program installed to the harddrive. I would do that instead of booting to the restore CD. However I went ape **** with a cleaning a HD with Diskpart and Format. So trying to restore the image from the boot CD keep giving me the error "image can not be restored to this Hard Drive. I do not know why? So I reinstalled Win7 and got the HD back into bootable condition thinking I would reverse whatever i did wrong if i did do anything. So now I got win 7 booting up pretty normal again i guess. Now I installed the lastest copy of 2012 Free and use the program to restore the image instead of using the boot recuse CD.

Seems ok it found my archieves and I am now restoring the image...I think I am because in thge past the computer would reboot when i started a restore operation. This time it's just running without restarting. In the Restore Wizard window in the lower pane I have hundreds of filenames scrolling some of which say "has been skipped". I have never seen this before. Plus this is taking hours longer than restores have done in the past.

What is going on? is this newest copy different? ?Bad? I think i will redo this by booting to the rescure CD as soon as this ends. I don't trust this current operation.

Can some tell me what going on here?

2012-12-11 01.19.08.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

First off what version of software are you currently using to perform the restore, because the SS you posted is performing a file level restore not an image level restore which may be part of your problem.

3. skulldrinker

PB&R 2012 FREE (newest copy downloaded NOV 2012)

what check box or thing tells me file level or image. Either way the end result might be the same?? yes ? no?

I was having bad luck when i had Win 7 installed and trying to restore my old win 7 image. So I formated and installed XP. I then installed PB&R 2012 FREE but kept getting error can't install the image. I checked the integrity and it's ok. I tried again booting with recovery disk and same thing image wont install I get error.

At the present I'm stuck in what I think it is what you say a File restore. It's listing files again and It's going on 5 hours with only 86% done. The other times when it would reboot before restoring is when I was getting error can't complete. This time with the files it did not reboot. So it's running XP and restoring a Win 7 image file by file. What a mess I got going here. I never felt so confused. i been using PB&R for years and this is a disaster.

Some times the error would say Can't restore image to this location. Why it's the same Hard drive same machine that the image was made from.?? It's only 4 days old.

4. skulldrinker

And at one attempt I brought the hard drive and the external drive holding the image over to another computer and tried to restore from there using PB&R installed on that computer.

That ended up being restored with two folders in the root. One of the folders seems to contain what would normally be the windows. But instead of it being C/windows it was C/folder/windows/ I tried to move the contents to eliminate the extra level but the drive would not boot when put back into original computer.

5. skulldrinker

UPDATE the restore the was doing file level operation has completed. It was restoring a win 7 image over a XP installation. It completed So I rebooted and it won't start now saying some file is missing. Yeah kind figured that since XP and Win7 shouldn't mix.

This image I made is only a few days old and checks out ok. Why can't i get it to restore? Is the hard drive the problem? Is my formatting it been done incorrectly? What should I do to prepare the drive prior to using the restore boot CD? Should I attempt to install the image to a different Hard Drive? I only have a smaller drive that I can try that with. Will the image shrink automatically? I was using a 1T drive the smaller drive I have is a 500G size. Should I format that one first? I never had to format any drive before PB&R would always restore the image and everything was ok.

6. Paragon_Matt

Attached is a quick reference guide to restore, attempt to use this and see if it assists you in the restore process.

Attached Files:

7. skulldrinker

Since I messed up the OS on the last restore attempt all Ihave is the restore boot CD. I do not have the advanced menu window. These pictures show the screens i get and the responses.

Attached Files:

8. skulldrinker

Max upload was 5 so here is the last picture showing the can't restore image error window.

Attached Files:

9. skulldrinker

Ok looks like I got something begining to restore here.....In the pick and choose window instead of clicking on the sub-partitions I clicked on the main line that reads (Basic Hard Disk ***) That got me past the "Can not restore to this location" error.

Let me see where this takes me.

PS in those pictures I was to quick to take the pictures and i think I had my Flash drive selected. Please note that the drive i want restore with the image is the Disk 3.

Attached Files:

10. skulldrinker

Well "Call down the missiles" I have my desktop back. All I can say is it must have been the fact that i was not clicking on the line that says "Basic Disk #" which kept giving me the can not restore error.

I have been stuck in front of this keyboard and going back and forth between two computers for 2 full days trying to resolve this.

Something tells me to retrace all my steps and redo this so that i have it all down pat for next time. Then again i just wanna get on with my work and never wanna go through this again.

Thanks to Matt_Spathes for attempting to come to my aid.

11. Paragon_Matt

You are welcome Skull, just make sure whenever you are attempting to restore, if you are restoring the disk to highlight the disk, if you are restoring partitions highlight the partition to restore and then highlight where you want to restore it. If you open any trees and select folders that will initiate a file level restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.