[thread split]phone - device rooting

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aladdin, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Re: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy s3

Not really. You can jailbreak and then Apple comes out with an new OS. And, then you have to wait sometimes six months for the jailbreak to catch up. In the meantime all your jailbreak programs don't work.

Been there, done that. Had Apple iPhone 4. Had to jailbreak to install a little program to get proper caller ID. Imagine, no proper caller ID. Then Apple came out with updated OS, my jailbreak was gone. Waited four months for new jailbreak, eventually threw the phone in the dustbin.

The Android rooting is not gone, even with the latest Jelly Bean v4.2.1

Best regards,

2. aladdin

Most of the time, no rooting is available for the cheap Chinese brands, and no cooked ROMs, like indie's Omega ROMs. Or Mike1986's Android Revolution HD ROMs.

Best regards,

3. aladdin

You cannot buy "jailbroken" Apps. from Apple store. However, you can buy "rooted" Apps. from Google Play.

Go Figure!

4. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC

Perspective. I recommend iPhone or Windows phone to my push the button kin&with
    and it works. I prefer Android. Get Android if you want to control and customize.
    At minimum you want to remove carrier bloatware.
    I never buy OPs or mobiles when first released; I wait for the problems to be
    discovered and fixed.

I'm impressed by S III but bought the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G which has
    many of same features and tech. It has smaller screen but same type as S III
    It has NFC though commercials seem imply only S III
    has it.
    Un a few months S III won'tbe so pricey . I'm no contract unlimited
    everything with rooted phone, 16 hours on the oem battery - depends whether I play music all day or not. JuiceDefender Ultimate (beta ).

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

All Android devices can be rooted. All four Chinese tablets have come already rooted, and my two phones have both been easy to root. I'm running stock ICS ROMs on my tablet and phone. Since ICS works so well, I've never felt the need to use a custom ROM.

6. aladdin

True! Can be rooted is different than there is rooting available.

It is nice to know that the tablets came already rooted. Yes, there is generic tool available for rooting, but it is not guaranteed.

ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) is old, old, obsolete OS. You cannot ever upgrade the OS. The latest one is JB (Jelly Bean), which is now at v4.2.1

It is not only the cooked ROM, the cooked Kernel, and everything else. Basically making and playing with you phones and tablets as toys.

This hobby of mine started with Windows OS Smart Phones, from OS v5.2 until v7.0, five long years. After long support to Microsoft, I ditched Windows Smart Phones, as Microsoft couldn't keep up with their promises. Now they have come up with Windows 8, phones and tablets OS, for the laptops and desktops. When will Microsoft get their heads out from their ......, I don't know.

In the meantime I was forced to own iPhones 3, 3S and then 4. No support for Caller ID and contacts being sorted by "Groups". Imagine for contacts, there was no Grouping and Caller ID. Why one buy phones, is to make and receive calls. Basic support was not there. Also, there was no "copy and paste" function.

Had to buy separate Apps., to get Caller ID and Grouping. The OS was as terrible as Windows OS. Had to "Jailbreak" to buy the App. to get Caller ID. The new OS came, the jailbreak was broken and then no more Caller ID for another 4 to 6 months. Cat and mouse game.

Having said the above, I am next door to Dubai, where there is a big Dragon Mall selling all kinds of Chinese products. I have seen people owning Chinese Android phones exactly looking like Samsung S3 with dual SIM support and one forth the price. And, the quality is excellent too. But, they are just phones and not toys.

Best regards,

7. aladdin

For those who are wondering what I am talking, please visit the following forum:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Where it has 4,761,968 Members, and usually 43,320 Members Online. Some of you might be familiar with XDA, where I am an old, old member.

Best regards,

8. aladdin

The Android OS, which is owned by Google.

I remember about six years ago, Google running a contest on XDA, for whoever will come up with the best Android OS will get $100,000 and the runners up will get $25,000 and $10,000. Google will own this OS.

Basically, letting kids as young as 10 years old to develop the next OS for the World and for real cheap. This is the foresight of Google.

What Google did was to allow all manufacturers to have this OS free of charge, where as Microsoft was charging $20 per device for their Windows OS for phones. There was no tablets back then. This killed the Windows OS on the phones, and today Android has becomes the OS for both Tablets and Phones.

Yes, Google started to finally dab into the phones and tablets market by selling their own. But these are manufactured by Samsung, Asus and LG for Google.

Where does Google revenue comes from. From Google Play Store and from selling their own products now and in future.

However today, Android OS is ruling the World, where there are tons of Chinese Phones and Tablets with excellent build quality and for a very, very cheap. They all have to use Google Play Store.

The future is Tablets, not laptops and desktops. And, Microsoft is already a dying company.

Best regards,

9. roger_m

No I meant they are all actually rootable.

You can if the manufacturer decides to release a Jelly Bean update for it. My phone is not upgradable to Jelly Bean, but this is not a big deal for me. In a few months I might sell my phone and replace if with quad core phone running Jelly Bean, costing less than $200. A Jelly Bean update has been talked about for a few months for my Momo8 Bird tablet. Hopefully Ployer will end up releasing this.

Many of the S3 clones don't have a very good screen resolution, but the situtation is imporving with some of the newer models.

10. aladdin

God, you are preaching to an old hat about Android.

Please read my above posts carefully, and do visit XDA.

Best regards,

11. aladdin

My Samsung S3 is four months old, and it came with v4.1.1 and still there is no OS update from Samsung.

My Samsung Note II is two months old, and it came with v4.1.2 and still there is no OS update from Samsung.

We are here talking about a big, big Company and still no OS update. What about a Chinese dinky company providing you with the OS update.

Best regards,

12. roger_m

It's not a matter of how big the company is, it's just that some manufacturers provide better support than others. A Chinese manufacturer was the first company to release a tablet with ICS.

13. roger_m

I did read your posts carefully the first time, and you said:
    when I suggested otherwise (based on my own personal experience) you said:
    Why don't you provide some proof to back your claim? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have never heard of a phone or tablet that can't be rooted.

Perhaps you can name some devices which can't be rooted?

14. aladdin

Rooting require someone to make available rooting tools and utilities that allows the phones and/or tablets to root. Unless, the phones and/or tablets are sold as rooted by the manufacturers.

Imagine, how many Android Phones and Tablets are sold by different manufacturers. Each different OS breaks the roots, thus upgrading the OS breaks the root, and then again one has to re-root.

Best regards,

15. aladdin

Again, you are wrong here. The Android OS is free, therefore whenever a new phone/tablet is released, the manufacturer provides the latest Android OS. After that, they are not interest to provide any updates to OS.

Only Google who owns the Android OS, provides the latest release to OS. WHY?

Because:

1. Google owns the OS.
    2. Google provides the OS, without the front end as they own the OS. For example, Samsung would provide the front end making the OS their own, which shows the Samsung logo, has Samsung apps and so forth. For this reason, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has ICS v4.1.1 and the Samsung Galaxy Note II has ICS v4.1.2. Where as, we are now to Jelly Bean (JB) v4.2.1

Till today, the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5380 which is sold for about $200, still doesn't have ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich). The latest Android OS it has is v2.36. The latest ICS is v4.1.2 and the latest JB (Jelly Bean) is v4.2.1

16. roger_m

But rooting tools are usually not device specific - meaning that you don't need a rooting tool written specifically for your device (okay so there may be some exceptions to this I guess). I rooted my cheap Chinese phone using an exploit affecting many ICS devices. I could have used to same exploit to root an expensive name brand phone or tablet.

17. aladdin

Wrong again. You are asking for false positive. Show me the proof that every Android Phone and every Android Tablet released has rooting available for it.

CHALLENGE!

18. aladdin

The generic rooting tools can BRICK your device. The proper rooting tools which are specific to your phone/tablet require proper Recovery and so forth. In case of trouble or BRICKING, require proper tools to un-brick.

19. aladdin

Visit XDA and spend some time there, then you will understand what I am saying here.

You will find each Phone and Tablet has specific section. XDA has about 5 Million users and at times about 50,000 member online.

How many forum can attract so many members and/or users online.

Spend some time and be a good reader. I have been on XDA since its inception.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  20. roger_m

I have no proof of that. I was just under the impression that all device could be rooted.

Maybe I'm wrong.

21. roger_m

I've never had any problem with generic rooting tools. I understand the chance of bricking a phone with generic rooting tools is extremly rare, and the device should be able to be unbricked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.