Windows Defender in Windows 8 Pro x64

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by puff-m-d, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

I am having a problem with the real time protection of Windows Defender in Windows 8 Pro x64. I cannot get it to turn on. The windefend service is running and set to automatic (trigger start) and I am pretty sure that is correct. (Checked by Process Hacker)

As far as I know there are two drivers, wdboot.sys and wdfilter.sys. Both of these are stopped and set to disabled, I know these settings are wrong. (Checked by Process Hacker)

I am not sure of any dependencies these services or drivers may have, so I cannot check those dependencies (if any) and be sure they are running.

Also, I am fairly sure there should be two process start up entries (I remember from running Autoruns). I do not have any entries for these showing now.

Somehow I am sure these settings above have been changed and that is the reason I cannot activate real time protection of Windows defender.

If anyone is running Windows Defender (Or even if not as I believe these setting remain unless you delete them) on Windows 8 Pro x64, can you possibly check in Process Hacker and Autoruns to see what these setting should be.

I could not find any information anywhere as how to repair this or what these settings should be, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks to all for your help...

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would suggest, and it actually works, to go to Settings, PC Settings, General and choose Refresh Your PC.

3. puff-m-d

I was afraid that I would lose all my installed softwares (or do I only lose any new windows apps that I have installed)?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nope you will be fine.

here

5. puff-m-d

Thanks! Going to do a refresh...

6. puff-m-d

Hello,

My results were disastrous and I decided to start a new thread to warn others of potential problems they may have if they decide to do a Refresh in Windows 8.

7. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

coming to the original point of the topic here... did the refresh work for you then ? Is windows defender working ?

8. puff-m-d

Yes, I got it working... But since I had lost everything pretty much in the process, I decided to start over with a fresh install. Originally I had done an upgrade install of Windows and decided to take this opportunity and reformat and start from scratch. I am back where I want to be and have thoroughly backed up everything this time so I now have a good image of where I am now just in case for the future. Doing the upgrade install originally, I had only made a few backups along the way of getting everything installed, but unfortunately did not have a backup that I should have made to get me to where I wanted. Needless to say, lesson learned as I had not backed up about 25 GB I had on an external drive that I inadvertently forgot to unplug (and lost it all). I only occasionly back up that drive but am now sure to keep it more recent as to backups.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

puff, I am the idiot that said to do it, and for that, I sincerely apologize. Gee, a guy from my own state. I really do feel bad. It just shows that the folks likie me here who think we are equal to the experts, are far, far from it.

I do apologize.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

exactly:)

11. puff-m-d

Hi trjam,

I just replied to your PM. I am fairly sure I would have made that mistake with or without your help. Do not worry about it and no apologies are necessary. Have a great evening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.