Adobe puts a price tag on security updates for Photoshop and others

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Article

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can't just EOL your software when the next version comes out, what are they thinking?

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That's pretty much what they have been doing. Not surprised.

4. hashed

hashed Registered Member

I hate to admit it, but Jobs had it right, Adobe's software is junk; this and the endless exploits and patches after patches on their products, is proof enough for me to seek out alternatives.

~h

5. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Yes.....no surprise. I dumped all over them via email and on their forum for the way they handle Photoshop Elements, for which Adobe releases a new version annually. A security issue was discovered back in the fall of 2011 with v8. Their official solution was, and is, to upgrade to version 9 (and now v10) since v8 is "no longer supported".

What a great solution; get your customers to pay ~$75 for the latest, "improved", version rather than fix a vulnerability in the old one. :rolleyes:

6. guest

guest Guest

I'm not trying to defend Adobe here, but when you buy software, you have to seek out info on how many time it will be supported/updated for free by the maker.

7. prius04

I agree. However, you'll have to tell me where to seek out this "info" because, to the best of my knowledge, Adobe doesn't publish any kind of firm dates or numbers. Further, they managed to fix this exact same vulnerability (at least, what I understand to be the same) in Photoshop but left PSE v8, and earlier, to twist in the wind. Just not a good practice from an ethical perspective and serves to create a lot of animosity toward the company.

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You can paraphrase:

There is always the free DNG tool, but not satisfactory for millions of photographers.

Adobe's business/marketing model has been criticized for years.

----
    rich

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

It seems to me that a critical security flaw is the result of a defective product. Don't some US states (and perhaps other countries?) have consumer protection laws that are applicable to defective products and over-ride manufacturer terms? Might, in some locales, such a law require Adobe to provide fixes for resolve such flaws for up to N years after purchase?

10. prius04

They typically disclaim everything so it's an uphill battle, regardless. In fact, I did manage to find Adobe's limited warranty in a license.html file:

It's actually worse than I thought since the foregoing (ridiculously puny) limited warranty is expressly inapplicable to patches and the like, which are offered strictly AS-IS.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The software world is another whole kettle of fish compared to physical goods, hence why the whole legal system is screwed up with patent wars and the like. If you could sue Adobe for having constantly screwed up products, you'd put them and many other big time companies out of business. Only the government has better lawyers than software companies, and they lock down their agreements air-tight and leave no wiggle room or chance.

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://www.h-online.com/security/ne...op-is-not-a-target-for-attackers-1572717.html

13. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I do not think that Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator and Indesign are junk.

Thanks.

14. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Adobe has apparantly noted the wave of criticism and will offer patches for free;

'We are in the process of resolving the vulnerabilities addressed in these Security Bulletins in Adobe Illustrator CS5.x, Adobe Photoshop CS5.x (12.x) and Adobe Flash Professional CS5.x, and will update the respective Security Bulletins once the patches are available.' link

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I bet quite a few companies that use this software got on their case.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hmmm so a massive whining actually works! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

When the "whining" comes from industries and people that pay hundreds of thousands for your products, you bet. It's a BS policy to begin with.

21. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

In this case it was decided by Adobe - bad Press and all. :ouch:

22. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i ditched Photoshop since CS3 and i'm using Gimp

i'm not a professional or anything but i make a wallpaper or two from time to time
    Gimp is more than enough for this matter

Don't get me started on Adobe updating and high priced Product
    they are doing this just because there is no real alternative

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.