Is it ok to run processor @ min state 100%?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by berryracer, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Is it ok that I am running my i7 at full speed 100% of the time?

I have set the min processor state in the power options to 100% from the default 5% and I notice the Intel Turbo Boost monitor constantly shows me that my CPU is running @ 2.6-2.8 GHz. (default speed is 2 GHz.)

I am always at home and the air conditioner is ON so I don't think heat is a problem here, but is what I am doing ok or am I ruining my CPU? Was it designed to work @ 100% speed all the time?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

do you need to run it 100 at all times? Default settiing is probably good enough. Otherwise who knows for sure if the processor will last less because it works at full throtle constantly.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Alright i've set it back to the default @ 5%

Thanks

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yes, they are designed to run at 100% all the time. Or rather, they are designed to survive running at 100% 100% of the time - as long as they are properly cooled.

Note these same CPUs are often used in servers or in "crunchers" - machines used for distributive computing projects like Folding@Home. These projects wait until the USER goes idle, then they run the CPU up to full throttle to crunch numbers.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have mine cranked 100 percent for over a year now with no problems,But who can tell of the longegivity set to full throttle.If it starts smoking it will give me a good excuse to buy a new system.:D

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Mine runs at 4.6GHz all of the time. I really wouldn't worry about it. As long as your temps are good, not a problem.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That has nothing at all to do with percent utilization.

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

mine has been running just fine at 4.5ghz with min 100% utilization and with all bios power saving features disabled. in fact i and alot of people i know have done this and not one of them has had a chip go bad. frankly the windows settings come second to the bios options such as Intel speed step, C1, C3 and C6 power states so it does not really matter what settings you choose in windows as the the default bios options will keep the CPU in check so go ahead and change it to 100%, its the bios options that really count ;)

like xxJackxx said, temps are by far the most important factor with regards to chip life

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It doesn't but neither does the original question, which is about power options, not utilization.

My minimum processor state is set to 100%. This means it never runs at a lower clock in a reduced power state. That does not cause a CPU to run at 100% utilization. It causes it to run at 100% clock speed. The system idle process is about 99% of that most of the time.

This is exactly correct, your power states are the main issue here. If you are not overclocking or overvolting you will never have an issue with any settings in Windows.

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

My laptop has been run at 100% min and max CPU for 4 years with no issues what so ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.