Spam Revolt - Botnet Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by m00nbl00d, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I was checking Softpedia's website and noticed this Spam Revolt - Botnet Protection.

-http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/Spam-Revolt-Botnet-Protection.shtml

If you take a look at the screenshots, you'll notice it seems to be nothing more than a PeerGuardian or PeerBlock rip-off.

-http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/PeerBlock-Screenshot-137936.html

It does allow to configure which ports one would like to allow/block, by profiling it seems...

They offer a 3-day trial... WTH o_O

Don't take me wrong, I'm not against any forking... that's how PeerBlock appeared... Nor am I against anyone making a fork a paid product, but a 3-day trial for something you can achieve with PeerBlock for free, all the time?

I'd understand if you were paying for the blacklists, if they're using their own... But, a 3-day trial to test how efficient they are (if they offer their own lists)? o_O

They could make it work like that. The application is free, but if you want to use their lists, they you'll have to pay. Or, even have the application as a paid product... but, never a 3-day trial... :doubt:

Maybe this is a new trend - 3-day trials. Day 1 - You see and download the trial. Day 2 - You think it's good. Day 3 - They get your money. :D

2. kardokristal

kardokristal Developer

m00nbl00d....You made my day :D

3. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I used to use PeerBlock regularly. At one point, I even used premium I-Blocklists.

Not anymore. When I moved to the LUA/SUA full-time model and it refused to run on a non-administrator account, I considered it a lesser and conflicting security measure and trashed it.

4. Ziggah

Ziggah Registered Member

Hi guys, I see this topic is a little stale but I wanted to jump in and introduce myself, I'm actually the developer for (the now titled) Botrevolt - Botnet Protection. Yes it is based off Peerblock/Peerguardian which hasn't seen any development since 2010. I give them credit in the install and even messaged the Peerblock guys letting them know I planned to do this.

I've already added quite a few things to it, like better logging and am working on a server version so that a house with a few machines or an IT department Administrator can get a consolidated report and control blocks and allows on all Botrevolt machines in its network. I am also almost done with an application detection suite for it, so that say for example you had Steam installed it will ask when you run it if you have Steam and what ports it wants to access, if you say no, obviously the ports remain blocked. If you say yes while you use the program the ports would not be blocked, any time you were not using it they would be.

My main completely original application Spam Revolt which is still in development is planned to work hand in hand with it, what Spam Revolt does is traces emails to sending machines in a number of ways, and traces all links in an email to get the owners of said sites and businesses creates a public consolidated profile page for the offender where it shows the total amount of times the spam was sent and the websites tied to it. Auto Unsubscribes, automated reporting to multiple government agencies and policing agencies like the FTC and Spamcop. Also gives a discussion space where people can discuss the spam.

I hope to use the two in tandem to provide even more detailed consolidated profile pages for threats/spammers so that hopefully there is enough information to go after the guys funding and thriving off the spam and botnets.

Also, the trial for Bot Revolt is 10 days no credit card information or payment information of any kind required. You can buy it if you like it. Also I see you mentioned Admin mode as a drag, I'll see about removing the requirement for the next update.

Http://spamrevolt.org and http://botrevolt.com are our main sites by the way.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

No offense but $4.95/month? Do create your own list?
    A combination of Peerblock plus I-BlockList subscription is $9.99/yr. Or you can use Peerblock and free lists available in iblocklist.com.
    I do appreciate that this product is in development and Peerblock is abandoned. :D

6. Ziggah

Ziggah Registered Member

We do though it is still in Alpha, its sister project Spam Revolt is creating a list of reported spammers, exploiters and virus spreaders. This list will be consolidated with Iblocklist (and potentially more). Also we plan to give users of Bot Revolt the option to have their allowed connections analyzed to look for potential uncaught threats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.