New on ESS 5

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jasonbourne, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Quick question's here:

I am about to go for it and try out ESET Smart Security 5 and I have a couple here:

a. Does ESS permit manual updates? If so how?
    b. How does it behave(auto-updates) on a dial-up connection and wireless dsl?
    c. How do I set-up the firewall for FDM? (Freedownload manager)
    d. Can you perform a custom install on ESS 5?

Appreciate the help here. Thanks!

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In response to your questions:
    • By default, ESET Smart Security checks for updates hourly and will download them if it finds any. You can decrease the frequency to check less often, and then perform a check manually, but the program won't check for updates more frequently than at once hour intervals.
    • There are options for delaying updating with non-persistent connections (dial-up networking, Wi-Fi, 3G and so forth) until a connection has been established.
    • I am unfamiliar with Free Download Manager so do not have any specific suggestions, other than to run the ESET Personal Firewall in Learning Mode to have it create rules. Some editing may still be required, though.
    • Yes, you can perform a custom install of ESET Smart Security. Of course, this depends on what you consider "customization." Some options, such as installation path, some of the detection criteria, and so forth can be adjusted at install time.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Hey I saw this thread and wanted to ask IF I may (I hope it's okay jasonbourne :)...)

Can you do a custom install for Eset --without the firewall? Not just the installation path? I mean manually selecting components to install. Or how can I make a change install if ever I do not want the firewall?

How does Eset feel about GRC Stealth ports?

I asked because I just posted a thread at the firewalls section about my friend with KIS 2012 firewall GRC fail. Here (xttp://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1984641#post1984641) Some in the office got Eset Smart Security 5 for around $53-55 (I think).

Can you comment on this please...

Thank you and thanks jasonbourne for the pinch :D

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No you can't choose not to install the firewall.(Wich is good I think because that's one thing I really love about it everything is tightly integrated in ESETs products)

But if you own an ESET Smart Security license you can download NOD32 Antivirus (wich doesn't have a firewall) and use that with the same license. So if you don't want to use the firewall simply use NOD32 instead :thumb:

Well I don't know what ESET feels about it but...FYI I got fully stealth, but it really doesn't matter as long as they either are closed or stealth.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can effectively disable the firewall by changing firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols".

6. jasonbourne

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting question there by constantine76. Along that line, does ESS5 have Stealth my ports command or function?

@Aryeh,

Will keep that in mind. I'll post again when I encounter something. Or better yet, what may be a good settings to maximize protection by ESS5 without sacrificing ease of use? Maybe some set-up that you have tested or seen/observed?

How does i behave with MBAM Pro or Keyscramber Pro? On Acronis..any issues?

@constantine76,

It's okay. I saw your post for your friend(she --maybe girfriend?)Interesting links there. Never really liked KIS. Have used KAV previously but did not like it and so was my system.

@Marcos,

--I'll check that out when I install this weekend. Thanks.

@SWex,

-- The post that constantine was stating was an eye-opener to me. I'd like to be stealthed personally and full-stealth the better. Have been like that since using Comodo.

-- Can I try the firewall first and then the AV only? (kindly also comment on this please Marcos...)and then if I decide to use the firewall again can I use still the license?

Does the AV NOD32 have some issues with say, Online Armor or Comodo or Privatefirewall? I may try that out on that combination...

To do that, how may I or better yet how can I do it feasibly?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Why not use a trial version first for Eset SS 5 and then NOD32..that way you get your license intact.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In response to multiple questions from multiple people:
    • Both the options which can be configured at installation, as well as those which are configured after installation, are discussed in detail in the ESET Smart Security 5 User Guide [PDF, 4.03MB]
    • As far as I know, ESET has no position on Gibson Research Corporation's ShieldsUP! firewall testing site.
    • The ESET v5 products are pre-configured with the optimum settings for security and performance. You should not need to make any changes to the defaults, unless there's something you wish to change for personal reasons.
    • Using ESET Smart Security and MBAM Pro together may cause conflicts if the realtime features of the latter are enabled.
    • I am unaware of any issues with ESET Smart Security and Keyscrambler Pro or with Acronis' current offerings. That does not mean that there are no problems, just that I am not aware of any. If there are any concern about compatibility or performance problems, I would recommend excluding each programs' services and applications as the first step of troubleshooting the issue.
    • ESET NOD32 Antivirus should be compatible with various third-party firewalls such as those you mentioned, however, if any problems occur, you should configure each program to exclude each other from being monitored or scanned as the first step of troubleshooting the issue.
    if you have more in-depth questions, you may wish to start separate message threads to address each specific issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

still getting worthless notifications, thankfully my license runs out next mth...

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmm, thats a shame. I just renewed mine until 2014 and am totally happy with version 5.

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

i respect your thoughts but I'm not the only one & I'm glad your machines run it clean, but imho they need to listen to customers more, each release offers less, its sad to see, on this topic we have differing opinions...

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

To clarify.

A ESET Smart Security license will work with Both ESS and NOD32.

But a NOD32 license does ONLY work with NOD32 alone. So you will not be able to download ESET Smart Security with this license.

I hope you understand me better now ;)

13. jasonbourne

Okay thank you I got it. I have in mind to get an ESET Smart Security license. I'll use a trial first(maybe a try both NOD32 and ESS) and then get the license.

Thank you so much guys. I'll post when I have questions again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.