[Giveaway] ABINE Do Not Track Plus

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by IvoShoen, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Stop the secret online tracking and data collection about you and your activity as you surf the Web. Do Not Track Plus gives you the best-available privacy protection for Firefox by completely blocking and or damaging the capabilities of 100′s of online tracking companies to track you without your intent.
    http://www.donottrackplus.com/giveaway.php

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Anybody tried this, or know more about it ?

Funny what i found on their www :D :p

don.gif

3. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

I just wonder how this would stack up to someone just using Fanboys tracking list in adblock plus. https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/. Not to mention using Ghostery too. Disconnect is also a good extension that seems to support alot of the features that this $29.99 "Do Not Track Plus" extension offers. Seems a little steep to me considering that you can get the same thing with free extensions. Then again I guess this extension is a freebie for now but who knows if you will get any updates.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

And who are they? Is the extension in the Mozilla Extension store (or whatever its called)? I wasn't about to download the script from their website which had very sparse information.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Do as I say, not as I do. :rolleyes:

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Is it just me or does the site look like a "snake oil" site....

www.donottrackplus.c.jpg

7. x942

x942 Guest

ABINE also makes the extension for firefox Privacy Suite Not sure if this is part of it or not. But in my tests it doesn't do much of anything. Snake Oil if you ask me.

8. chrisretusn

I installed the extension. To get the full effect, I disable NoScript, turned off Web Bug Blocking in Ghostery and disable Adblock Plus.

On msnbc.msn.com it blocked 4 ad networks and 3 companies. Ghostery reported 7 trackers.
    On foxnews.com/fox.com it blocked 6 ad networks and 8 companies. Ghostery reported 7 trackers.
    On bbc.co.uk it blocked 3 ad networks and 5 companies. Ghostery reported 7 trackers.
    On cbsnews.com it blocked 2 social button, 5 ad networks and 12 companies. Ghostery reported 14 trackers.

I do tend to mistrust sites that hard sell on their pages.

One thing I noticed on that link you gave is it looks as Abine has taken over two of my favorite extensions, Sebastian Tschan's Autofill Forms and Secure Login. I am not so sure I like this new development.They are apparently integrating these in to their Privacy Suite. :(

On the Autofill Forms page there is a review by user ebin, on same day account was created. Me thinks this is a selfless self promotion by the new developers. :(

On the brighter side, this could also be a good thing. One extension to replace several extensions I use to achieve the same thing.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  9. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Hmmm i went to the pages you listed and got the following

bbc.co.uk - 1 cookie
    msnbc.msn.com - 2 cookies
    foxnews.com/fox.com - o cookies
    cbsnews.com - 0 cookies

Now isnt cookies the way these sites secretly track you?

Maybe i didnt get hardily any because of 2 things?

1) I have 3rd party cookies blocked
    2) I have scripts disabled

Regardless i delete cookies constantly so any tracking they try wouldnt work anyway... (And when you close your browser you can dump any "Evercookies" that may have been set also)

10. chrisretusn

In my above post I stated the following. "To get the full effect, I disable NoScript, turned off Web Bug Blocking in Ghostery and disable Adblock Plus." I also block 3rd party cookies, makes little difference on numbers blocked.

That could be a huge reason your results differed from mine, my goal was to establish that it does indeed block stuff as it claim to do.

One item I do not like is Do Not Track Plus add a boat load of "opt-out" cookies. You cannot delete them either, unless you disable the extension, it just adds them back in. It looks like you should be able to disable this, but it apparently does not work.

In normal use I do not accept cookies from any site except those I specifically allow.

I have "opted-out" of Do Not Track Plus for now. All those extra "opt-out" cookies bug me. :)

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Do Not Track Plus, is it Opt Out, or it Blocks?

Thanks....

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Wait a second..there was an article about these guys the other day. This thing was supposedly a part of the new "wave of free tools" for the privacy concerned...where is the free part? Btw, imho, Abine is not a company I put a lot of stock in. Their TPL for IE 9 was a mess, and I don't expect this to be much better. There are too many tried and true free tools out there to waste money on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.