LAN Spyware / Security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Zxarr, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zxarr

Zxarr Registered Member

Hello,

I am looking for a peice of software that can spy on users logged into the network I run. It is a Windows 2000 domain, with moslty XP Pro and some 98 clients. Due to some of the older software on the machines, some of the users have figured out ways to install and run software. I am looking for ways of monitoring the machines and even stopping the software from installing. I have Group Policies in place, but that only works if the 'Windows Installer' is used to install the software.

The software should have a remote client that is installed onto any and all PC's that I wish to monitor. Each client should talk to a server that has all the configuration for the clients, so changes can be made globally. Active Directory Usernames and Groups should be used and I'd like to be able to let this software stop a process from running (like msmgr.exe, or command.com (command.com isn't stopped by the GPO that stops cmd.exe)). Keyboard strokes and web page visits are not an issue, it's mostly programs being run that I wish to kill.

Anyway, if anyone can give me an idea where to look, or suggest some software, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Welcome to the forums Zxarr,

What you appear to be asking for (comprehensive user monitoring) is very likely to be illegal, even if you are the network administrator - I would suggest you check the legal situation first before proceeding further.

There are several tools for controlling PC configuration but the ones I am aware of tend to be "enterprise-level" with an enterprise-price, one example being Tivoli which can handle software deployment as well as general systems management.

At the other end of the scale you could achieve what you are looking for by using an free application firewall like System Safety Monitor (which can be configured to shut down any unauthorised programs, although you would need to use something like VNC to manage workstations remotely) or Abtrusion Protector. Abtrusion Protector can be managed centrally (using the Settings Server) so this may be the better choice for you.

However it is unlikely that you will be able to fully secure Windows 98 machines since that OS has no real security structure.

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

I have tried Abtrusion Protector. It very much slows down my machine, webpages didnt load and after three restarts it didnt start up at all anymore.
    I am running Spybot-resident as well, maybe that combination won't work well together, I dont know. Anyway after uninstalling AP my machine runs as fast as it did before installing AP.

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.