OA's Run Safer needed for Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have read conflicting posts about whether Online Armor's Run Safer feature is needed in Windows 7 with UAC active. My UAC is set to max and I run as admin. Does Run Safer offer protection which UAC does not? Despite the conflicting answers I have received there really was not much detail or supporting info. Thanks.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

looking at the write up it sounds like it might not be needed. Having said that it might be adding more cover. But then whether it actually adds to UAC protection can only be answered by OA developer
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/KF-RunSafer.html

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I don't use it but...

Run Safer provides different protection than UAC gives so its fine to use it.

UAC only makes most application run normally at medium integrity level (not sure) and will prompt for elevation / silent elevate / block elevation (depending on your settings) whenever a program needs elevation/admin rights to do its job.

Run Safer will force an application to run at a much lower rights than UAC has applied and will not allow elevation I think :)

When using Run Safer on an application, it will be like you are running the application as Standard User with UAC set to deny elevation request.

without Run Safer, you would be running an application with medium rights. UAC by default even when set to max will still prompt you for elevation when the program requests for it :)

4. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Cudni posted a good link.
    I think you must use uac on max, and add emet. On win7 i think run safer isn't necessary.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks- I read that and maybe I don't need run safer. I'll keep an eye open for any new info on the issue.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

In the past, I have had some mail exchanges with Mike. As far as I can recall, it will run de application the same way as drop my rights or as a basic user in XP and VISTA (on windows7 basic user does not work).

Advantage over default medium level of UAC is, that programs running under RUN SAFER will not ask for elevation.

In OA there is an option to run an unknown application as runsafer (preventing most harm), with this option intrusions will stille picked up by OA (a pop-up), but the 'new program' pop-up will not be shown. I think that a very user friendly ans smart option for people who do not want an anti-executable HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.