generic laptop batteries

Discussion in 'hardware' started by jdd58, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Anyone have any good or bad experiences buying generic laptop batteries from ebay or amazon?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

not as good as the original, not holding charge for as long. risk of it being poorely manufactured with all that it implies

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I bought a 6600mah battery (68.00) for my acer d260 netbook, been using it everyday for the past 6 months it still will run for 7 hours with a full charge. For me it was a good deal. It was shipped from battery-shop.org Hong kong and I got it in less than 2 weeks. An oem acer battery with less (4400)mah was over $100.00, so generic does save money if you get a dependable store.

4. BryanW

BryanW Registered Member

I bought a no-name generic replacement battery for a Dell Laptop in Bangkok Thailand. It was about 1/3 the cost of a new one. The generic battery worked for only a few months. I returned it for a new one. The new battery only lasted for a few months.

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Well, I ordered an AGPtek battery from novapcs on ebay. Reviews for AGPtek that I could find tended to be favorable. It has a one year warranty and an insurance card for damages caused by the battery. It also has RoHS compliance sticker and compliance for electromagnetic compatibility. Not sure if they are legit or not. I will post back on my satisfaction after receiving and using it for a while.

Link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...pagename=ADME:L:OC:MOTORS:1123#ht_1794wt_1206

6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I purchased a laptop replacement from batteries.com. It came with a 1-year replacement warranty. It worked fine for about 11 months and then stopped holding a charge.

I called them and they replaced the battery quickly. I had to return the original and pay a $6 fee. I've had the replacement for several months now and it seems to be working fine.

I guess I would have been happier if the original just kept working, but I was pleasantly surprised by their responsiveness in issuing a replacement.

Would I use them again? Yes, I will - given their price for the battery was about 1/3 that of the manufacturer - Sony. I guess I would eventually reconsider using them if their products continually die in less than 1 year, but I don't have enough history with them yet.

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

So it's now 4 or 5 months since my last post regarding batteries.com. Their replacement battery has now died.

I guess it's time to reevaluate their products. I'm done with them - two failed batteries is ridiculous. Their customer supportm might be helpful, but their products are unacceptable.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

bay eagles eye batteries are really very good overall and work very well. let me check to see who is the ebay seller i have bought these MANY times and only ever had a problem once and they immediately sent me out a new one that worked fine.

edit here is their ebay account its direct to them

http://myworld.ebay.com/laptop_power_hub/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Update: I've been using my AGPtek battery for 5 months now. So far it has worked better than the original but it is a 9 cell bettery vs. a 6 cell original. My perception of any degradation so far seems to be very minimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.