Windows 7 Open Ports

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by arran, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

Good Grief, just installed windows 7 Ultimate for the first time. And I can't believe how many open ports there are, this can be quite hazardous for someone who isn't sitting behind a Router with Nat firewall with all these ports flapping their doors open. We had a good list of hardening tools for XP like here
    for example. http://www.malwarehelp.org/windows_hardening_tools_download.html

but does anyone know of any hardening tools for W7?

Attached Files:

• p3.jpg
      p3.jpg
      File size:
      112.6 KB
      Views:
    • p4.jpg
      p4.jpg
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My ports are trimmed down nicely IMO.
    crports_win7.jpg

Sul.

3. korben

korben Registered Member

^the image is tad small, Sul.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

6. arran

arran Registered Member

Attached Files:

• p5.jpg
      p5.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The download states it's Windows 7 suitable, but I haven't tried it myself.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ arran

Yes, Shocking :eek:

"Funny" how each windows release seems to open even more than before as default ! Now why would they do that when there is NO obvious need ?

9. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

If its possible on Win7 YOU SHOULD REALLY STEALTH ALL YOUR PORTS!! (Dont have any open)

Im on 98se and ALL MY PORTS ARE STEALTHED..... (Best way)

10. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Wow Windows 98SE. You are braver than I am. :eek:

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It does appear on each new version of Windows that they're making it harder to reduce the attack surface. It was easy to close all the ports on all versions of 98. Wasn't that hard on Win 2000. On XP, it's harder but still can be done without causing any big problems. Has anyone managed to close them all on Win7 by system configuration only?

Controlling unsolicited inbound traffic is basic security 101. Any OS that doesn't allow this is vulnerable, no matter what else they've done. There's no excuse for 30+ open ports when there's no need for them. It literally appears that Win7 was made to be accessible from the net, whether the user wants it that way or not. Is this the result of the help they got from the NSA?

12. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

It almost seems like they did it on purpose. It is amazing at all the services that are on by default that really shouldn't be unless you have a good reason. We could get into tin foil hat area with it. Most average joe computer users have no clue how to turn them off or stealth ports.

13. Dude111

Ya i have loved 98se since i first started using it :)

I started using Windows with 95 and it was OK but 98se is even better :)

14. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I have an old computer with Windows 98se on it and a Voodoo graphics card (remember those?) just so I can play Carnivores 2. :cool:

15. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Love that game, lol:D

16. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

I'm down to the same ports - is it impossible to close them off without shutting down vital services? Back on XP I was able to close off all of them...

edit: what I meant was although these ports are blocked by my firewall, these appear to be local listening connections. In that case is it possible to prevent them from even establishing in the first place?

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm also a 98SE user. Although this PC is dual boot 98SE and XP-Pro, most of the time 98 is running. I very much enjoy the simplicity, lightness, and the small attack surface that's so easy to protect.
    Whenever an application or service is listening for incoming connections, the OS has an open port. The only way to truly close the port is to shut down that service or application. A firewall blocks access to those open ports. IMO, using a firewall to block open ports is a band-aid approach. If malware (or a system update) shuts down your firewall, you are vulnerable. On XP for instance, SP3 will shut down 3rd party firewalls during the install process.
    It obvious that Microsoft didn't learn anything from Slammer, and what can happen to systems with open, vulnerable ports. IMO, it's wishful thinking to believe that it couldn't happen again with all the open ports on Win-7.

Regarding "tin foil hat area", when I look at this example, then combine that with the changes I've seen in Windows since the 9X systems, I'm finding it hard to come to any other conclusion. It's become so much harder to control and to close down the attack surface. Compared to earlier systems, the user/administrator has far less ability to access key areas of the system. It keeps so many usage records. It calls home, supposedly to make sure you haven't stolen it or abused the license. AFAIC, it's becoming spyware disguised as an operating system. I find it very difficult to trust software (or an OS) from a company that doesn't trust its customers. It makes no sense that they supposedly got help from the NSA with securing this OS, then left so many open entry points on it. There's too many contradictions for me to see this any other way. IMO, it comes down to one simple issue. If you don't have the final say over what is and isn't allowed to run on your system, including the services, and control over who or what can access your system from the outside, it's not secure. Everything I see says it's no longer possible to achieve this control on Windows 7.

18. Dude111

Excellent,one of the best :)

19. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

It might seem shocking at first to see all of these open ports, but how many of these ports are actually open to the Internet? And how many of these ports are open to your other computers behind your router?

To test the latter, use a port scanner such as PortScan to scan all of the 65000+ ports of the (internal) IP address of your other computer. My results: one open port - port 5357. And this port is only open because I'm using the Windows Firewall network location Home or Work. If I had used the network location of Public instead, port 5357 wouldn't have been open. See Choosing a network location for more information on network locations.

To test if any of these ports are open to the Internet, separately test each "Listening" port from CurrPorts (or the list of open ports produced with PortScan when scanning your own (internal) IP address) with ShieldsUP or a similar web service. My results: no ports open to the Internet. I got the same results without a router as with a router.

My Windows 7 computers' services haven't been tweaked much from Microsoft's installation defaults. I did disable two services - Remote Registry and Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. Remote Desktop and Remote assistance are disabled (I don't remember if these are the default settings).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  20. MrBrian

Out of curiosity, I tested which ports are open to the Internet with software firewall disabled and also no router.

Results:
    135 - stealth
    139 - stealth
    445 - stealth
    5357 - open
    49152 - open
    49153 - open
    49154 - open
    49155 - open
    49156 - open
    49157 - closed
    61412 - open

21. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Could this be due to the ISP blocking?

regards,

-rich

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rmus, yes, that very well could be. That was exactly the case years ago when I did some testing without a firewall or router.

23. MrBrian

Could be. Or maybe Windows 7 itself does it?

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's probably the ISP. At the time I was using Win2k and got the exact same results (same ports). I concluded it was the ISP. Apparently some ISPs block/stealth those ports and some don't.

25. MrBrian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.