Prevx fails online banking test on x64

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

MRG has just published the results of their new online banking test which Prevx passes on x86 but fails on x64:
    http://malwareresearchgroup.com/2011/06/malware-research-group-project-28-results/

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

For compatibility reasons with PatchGuard, vendors can't have exactly the same protection on x64 which is why Prevx's layered solution of also providing antimalware protection covers the ground lost on x64 by being able to block threats proactively.

We have recently made improvements to this, however, by using an entirely different technique which will be included in 4.0.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good to hear:thumb:

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation :)

5. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Looking forward to seeing how 4.0 works.

6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Does this mean v4 will pass these kind of tests/offer full protection underx64 or will the improvement only mean you will only be able to offer part of what we need.

If you know of mal/less than expected functions in P3 for x64 users - how do you inform your customers? Must I spend time reading forums?

x64 was my choice, as was P3. Functional information to customers is your choice. I am surprised.

Best Regards

7. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Great, something else added to the list of issues that will be fixed or improved on in version 4, and disregarded in vers.3o_O

Seems that the current version of Prevx no longer protects all that well, I was under the impression SOL protected 64-bit users the same as 32-bit users, seems I was wrong.
    At least other vendors tell customers that the protection on 64-bit systems is inferior.
    This really surprised me, quote:

"We have tested Prevx extensively and became aware of this vulnerability several months ago. We notified the
    vendor of this vulnerability at that time, so are surprised to see that it still remains"

I assume the attitude is; "stuff it, we'll fix it in a couple of months when 4 is released":thumbd:

As Rivalen pointed out, quote: "x64 was my choice, as was P3. Functional information to customers is your choice. I am surprised." so am I:blink:

If all work is currently geared towards the release of vers.4 and all work on P3 has stopped, or you no longer want to or can work on both versions simultaneously,
    would it be safer to uninstall Prevx and reinstall a working vers. 4o_O

I know other vendors also performed poorly, that is not the reason for this post, what gets to me is "we'll fix it in vers. 4"

The list of issues is getting longer by the day, I wont even ask the obvious question, as the answer will be the same as always and that is "as soon as we can":gack:

I feel vulnerable using Prevx at the moment, I certainly hope you get on top of things.

It seems the only thing that hasn't changed is the support, that has remained impeccable till now:thumb:

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I understand your concern but, for example, Norton Antivirus 1999 can't detect TDL4. Certain changes are fundamental in the architecture of a product (and Windows itself in this case with PatchGuard).

However, to quell your concerns, please see this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=300981

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  9. overangry

Dare I ask, will this be released before vers.4 or is this version 4?

10. overangry

Good to hear, looks good, I can't wait for the testing to begin.
    The wait is over:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.