Time Machine Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Nekromantik, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nekromantik

Nekromantik Registered Member

Hi people
    I know vs threads are not allowed so instead this is a pros and cons thread :)

For those of you who have used both oooops backup and shadow protect, what are the pros and cons of each and which do you currently use?

Also is Comodo Time Machine in the same class as these two as its a free option?

Thabnks

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

about comodo time machine, all development was ceased a while back.

don't know about other people but i will never use a product which has not been updated for a while or if it is not being developed (especially a security product).

about the other 2 products, i will let the knowledgeable folk answer that as i have not used either

3. Nekromantik

Ok thanks didnt know Comdo TM was not being updated.

That leaves Oops and Shadow

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

snapshots apps like Rollback RX are useful depending on one's situation.

it it takes you less than 5 minutes to restore an image i'd say go with an imaging program.

on the other hand, if you need to restore frequently and restoring and image would take too long then i'd say go with Rollback or similar apps.

5. Nekromantik

I need a software that will backup my user files and documents onto my 2nd Hard drive. I dont mind not having a clean image of my Windows install as my main concern is my files. I tried ooops backup trail and got a free promo license for it.

If my PC crashes I want to be sure that my files are safely backed up. I dont restore frequently, only when I have a problem where PC wont start.

6. moontan

7. Nekromantik

thanks but i am willing to pay to get more functions.
    you got no experience of shadow protect?

8. moontan

none whatsoever.

i heard it was a very good app.
    i don't know if anything has replaced it...

9. Nekromantik

ok kool thanks

I think for the time being il stick to ooops :)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

11. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

I use Rollback Rx mainly to trial new software. If the program does something funky or I just don't like it, it's easy to go back to the pre-install state. I image my drive with Macrium for disaster recovery purposes. Both Rollback and Macrium have saved my system more than once!! So I would recommend using both types of programs if possible. I had bad luck with Comodo Time Machine when I trialed it, but that was over a year ago, don't know if its improved now or not.

12. Nekromantik

yeah Ooops is like a sync program.

I always thought imaging is only useful for system partition backups mostly.
    I have not used them before as I am fine with a windows reinstall as long as my personal files are safe. I just am worried of oops reliability really.

Does Rollback do what oops does? As in backs up chosen files or drives and then monitors for changes and backs up again just the changes? Or does it take snapshot of whole system?

13. moontan

Rollback RX snapshots the whole system.
    unfortunately, you can only store the snapshots on the OS drive.
    if your OS drive fails, there goes your snapshot.

i think imaging is the way to go if you don't have a lot of data.
    it's way faster than re-installing windows.
    it takes me less than 4 minutes to restore about 14 Gigs of data.
    you cal also 'mount' the image to grab files and folders out of there and copy them where you want.
    so in this regard, imaging can be used as backup.

nothing stops you of course of using imaging and backups programs together.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

CTM was very good IMO.
    Shame on Comodo for stopping developing it. If they actually fixed all the bugs etc. it would be an awesome software. :)

15. Nekromantik

ah right thanks.

I got about 350GB of data that I need to keep backed up at the moment so I been thinking imaging will be slow as im only running a Q6600 at 3.1GHZ atm and my HDD is not very fast.

16. 1820301060

1820301060 Registered Member

Returnil has developed one Multi-snapshot. I have tried it for a while. It was a quite smart product. the only problem for me is the restore process sometimes takes more than 5 mins.

17. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

What is it about Ooops that you like?
    Thanks.

18. Nekromantik

Well main thing is that I got it free as a promotion :)

ha ha

but other then that it backs up all my selected files automaticly when I choose a time and date. I would like a snapshot feature like Rx so I may try Rollback Rx. My only concern about that is I dont want my system unable to boot as something when wrong while restoring a snapshot so I would need to use both Rollback and Oops.

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Nekromantik,
    Thanks for the info.
    In regards to Shadowprotect, I think you can get a fully functional trial of it simply by contacting them through their web site.
    I use it in a very basic way and have only had some problems with it a couple of years ago when I first started with it.
    Their licensing system seems to come under fire from some people but they have always taken care of me quickly. Caution-if for any reason there is a problem with your license and you need to revert to an image on a weekend, you could be without a pc for the weekend. Happened to me once. Now I also keep a clone.
    I'm going to look at Ooops.
    Hugger

20. Nekromantik

I have never used Shadow Protect so no idea about that.
    While Oops you cannot go back to a snapshot of the whole system so thats why I was wanting to try Rollback but I heard it can sometimes cause problems so I may try the RMSE beta and hope they release the standalone version as I dont want the buy the whole RSS software as its out of my price range.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Forgot about mentioning Genie Timeline.

22. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I'm using Paragon Backup & Recovery for very serious problems,and CTM very often when i'm tryin' different security programs.And btw,CTM is working flawlessly for me for more than 1 year.I'm using the 2.8.155286.178 version.

23. Nekromantik

my only issue with Ooops is that it does not compress the backups so it uses a lot of space if you backup 400GB of data.

24. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Comodo Time Machine is an abandoware. It's a pity.
    Rollback Rx is not that far. The program was to be bundled with the backup software and seems it is going to the same way.
    Returnil does not offer the features for free.
    Windows 8 seems to have a "snapshot" technology. Lucky the ones that could upgrade.

25. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.