System Volume Information invalid path

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by angeloj, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angeloj

angeloj Registered Member

NOD32 trial version 1 detected a Trojan in C:\System Volume Information\.... which it could not delete (it was in the restore). I switched off system restore in System Properties and then got NOD32 to delete it.
    What happened next was that I could not search "My Computer". I then switched system restore back on and restarted the computer. All came back to normal with "My Computer" and everything else (including C:System Volume Information folder) except that when I get NOD32 to scan C:System Volume Information or C: drive it says: "path C:\System Volume Information\ is invalid". So I now cannot scan C:\System Volume Information which is where I get most of my trojans. Any ideas?
    angeloj
    ps I'm not sure if I have Version 1 or 2 (file name nentenst.exe for Win XP Pro)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If you are using XP pro you may now have to alter the security settings for the system volume information folder that has been "newly" created otherwise no access is allowed,if it is showing size as 0kb this prob the problem to cure go into folder options change from simple file sharing then you will have to add yourself to the list of users(even if logged as admin!)then allow yourself full access:- windows sets it up to only allow "the system" access to this folder by default

3. newbiee

newbiee Guest

in winxp pro, it is possible to disable "user's usage tracking" using gpedit.msc - so, "volumn system info" would be deleted and not re-created by windows os.
    hope it helps some.

4. BRW32

BRW32 Guest

There is a secret to a lot of Trojans nowadays. The developer will make the Trojan attach to a critical system folder like system volume information.Right now the Trojan is completely innactive so do not worry. Any Trojan that comes here is trying to be reacivated using system restore.If you disable the restore the trojans are useless. Now if more trojans come here repeat this process. Just make sure not to use system restore because it has many prblems.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I wouldn't advise anyone to turn off system restore. It can save your system when a problem arises.

When a file in the System Volume Information is infected, Windows does not allow any software, including an antivirus program, to delete the file. This is why all antivirus programs typically recommend turning off “System Restore” when a virus was found.

By turning it off, all infected files in the System Volume Information folder will be automatically deleted.

Turn system restore on after your system is clean and create a restore point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.