DefenseWall Compatibility

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 1000db, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I can't remember what I was looking for because I forgot when I saw this. I was pretty sure Ilya said this would never likely happen.

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yeah, he said that multiple times, and very certain too.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You can be passionate about security and have strong thoughts about minimum quality, but you can't argue with the market. Windows7 x64 is the dominant OS for new PC's. Current market share is pretty impressive. I have had discussion with Ilya about it, one ended with a "maybe when x64 passes 25% marketshare I will look into it". The attached image says it all.

AppGuard is now able to protect admin space on x64. The guys from Spyshelter are trying to port their strong restricted mode to x64. Guys from Google have realised total isolation with a combo of restricted token, assigning job object and alternative desktop. Guys from PrevX are playing with the thought (is my conclusion after having seen a discussion with Tzuk of Sandboxie and PrevXHelp) of realising some sort of messaging protection to services (not in the kernel, which is currently implemented by SBIE, but at the target processes themselves by setting massive control hooks), GeSWall have annouched a x64 version.

Bottem line: there are more roads leading to Rome. Ilya is pretty determined, so he might find alternative methods for providing the security level he qualifies as substantial/adequate.

Regards Kees

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Hopefully Ilya can manage it, because his product deserves to keep going for many years to come.

One of the absolute best products out there to work with an AV.

Was thinking of loading it back on only today. :)

5. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I'm kind of surprised that 64-bit has that much of the market since for your average user there are no real advantages. You would think DW would out in beta if there was going to be a 64-bit version since Ilya would have to completely change how DW works.

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I for one am glad Ilya is trying to get 64 bit working.Ive read all the threads in the past ,and agree with him ,however 99% of sold computers now have 64 bit operating system so the goalposts have moved.I cant wait to try defencewall on a 64 bit system ,and Im sure it will bring welcome buisness to a great developer too.
    ellison

7. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

It would be nice if Ilya would verify if this is accurate or not.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.