HMP vs MBAM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I have both. I have a full paid version of MBAM Pro from Wilders give away last year. I have a one year license for HMP I won from GHacks Christmas give away.

Im wondering what the better of the two is? I would assume HMP has the higher detection rating and of course neither will detect exactly the same things as the others. But as it stands the system is clean so there isnt much detecting to do. I will only be using either one as an on demand scanner.

I would leave both on, but I feel like its a massive overlap and redundant.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Since HMP is only on demand just leave both, and when needed scan with HMP which takes a few minutes only :D

3. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I don't know if you are running MBAM in realtime (I wouldn't do it, I don't feel like it is the purpose of the program, and it aint that well optimized and greatly good). If you aren't, I would use Hitman Pro, since it's detection is better. Also when Hitman Pro 3.6 will be released with remnant cleaning, it's removal will be on par with MBAM. Which leaves no reason to use MBAM in my eyes, if you have both. But like previously posted, if you using both on-demand, why not keep both? Hitman Pro uses only like 8 MB of space. MBAM ain't that big either.

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I have used MBAM free for years and find it a perfect "sweeper". I played with HMP for a couple of weeks, then dumped it. Never gave me anything more than MBAM and I personally considered it a very poor alternative.

But when talking AM programs, I have used Sandboxie free for about 5-6 months now and during that time, not an atom of Malware has escaped from SBxie into my parlour. Constant scans with Emsisoft AM, MBAM and AVG 2011 have yielded absolutely nothing. AND I have visited all kinds of good and bad sites with total confidence.

Of the two - stick with MBAM.

John

5. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Because of the long scan of MBAM I come to make it a habit to scan via HitmanPro(freeware) everyday after surfing the net. I relegated MBAM scans to 1 per week....an 80gb took 1.2hours scanning with MBAMPro earlier...tsk.

Keep both.

6. carat

carat Guest

MBAM removes threats for free :thumb:

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

So does Hitman Pro - for a period of 1 whole month. Quality costs , it ain't no free.

Hitman pro doesn't scan and remove things in Windows Registry .

I prefer Hitman Pro - can successfully remove and recover from rootkits and trojans MBAM cannot even detect

8. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Use both. HMP is an amazing behavioral scanner. Gets rid of rootkits with ease. High detection rate of 0day malware. Force breach mode will kill malware processes keeping you from running anything. Replaces corrupted or infected windows system files. Fixes dns or proxy hijacks. Also windows policies like disabling task manager or regedit.

The advantage of MBAM is the remnant scanning and removal of junk malware files. MBAM is lousy for rootkit removal. Once HMP gets that type of cleaning you won't need MBAM. Unless you don't want to pay for it and then MBAM is the way to go still.

edit: Oh and almost forgot HMP intelligently scans malware where it should so scans are super quick.

9. whitedragon551

Thats irrelevant as I have a paid license for both.

10. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I use both.:D

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

why do we do this? Start a battle over two of the best products on the market. Yes, they are one and two. But who gets the dubious honor of number one? Who cares, they both do. Geez.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

how bout MBAM for real time, and HP for back up. Nice combo that even jmonge may like.

13. whitedragon551

Its not a battle. Its a discussion between the two when both are used as on demand scanners.

Once again either one will be used for on demand scans only. Running MBAM real time in my situation is pointless as I have my browser sandboxed behind DynDNS filtering.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  14. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Very instructive and helpful post SykNeunundsechzig. Even I found it interesting after what I said about HMP in my post.

HMMM - perhaps I may give HMP another try after that. But I have no problem with Rootkits, AVG 2011 finds `em and kills `em just fine. Not had any so far in my career.

John

15. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Better at what exactly Whitedragon?? Because all you mention in your original post is detection rates. So are you asking which has the highest detection rate??

16. whitedragon551

Yes. Clearly they are both on demand scanners while MBAM offers a real time counterpart. HMP does not. HMP has multiple engines and doesnt scan an entire disc of registry where MBAM does.

Another thing we could compare is the types of scanning differences between the two. MBAM goes much more in depth which should allow it to catch more than HMP, but at the same time it seems HMP excels in detections due to the multi engine approach.

17. Scoobs72

Hmm.... a "What has the best detection rate and why?" thread. Let me think about that one.....

18. whitedragon551

Detection rate isnt all that matters. Removal and accuracy are also important. One has to be better than the other. They both cant be tied for first in effectiveness (removal, accuracy, and detection).

Some malware embeds itself so far down in the system that even after the system is "clean" the malware keeps appearing.

What about those false positives? One would think with 5 engines vs 1 that that would increase your chances by 400% at receiving a false positive on a legitimate file.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  19. Scoobs72

Yes, Hitman Pro is better.

20. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Removed a bunch of posts that were debating the forum policy instead of replying about the topic of the thread.

If you think a post or thread is a problem of some sort, please notify the staff using the "Report Bad Post" feature, ( [​IMG] ) rather than posting in the thread about it. If there is a problem, we'll address it. But, if you post all about it in the thread, you can easily wreck the whole topic.

21. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Daily scheduled scans with both Hitman Pro and MBAM Pro take a minute or two in the background, they are an important part of my light-weight security, and I personally wouldn't want to be without either one.

22. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

Of course it is and that is why HMP is widely used by experts at the clean up forums as primary fix-it tool(First out of the trick bag).

Not....but of course you know better than all those experts:thumb:

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I rest my case, along with other cases. Both products are distinctive in what they do. What they do for you is defined as to what you need.

Dont let tech talk babble cloud your mind. It is just nothing more then chest pumping. try both, and see what suits your needs. Me? I have both so this thread is useless.:cautious:

24. whitedragon551

I wish I could edit the title. Id toss SAS into this mix of comparison.

25. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

That's a good thing that you never had problems with rootkits ;) you don't want them haha. The reason I know is I have cleaned hundreds of computers. HMP has been the best for cleaning an already infected machine. Rootkit cleaning used to be a pain in the butt. But HMP makes it so easy. Its excellent especially with TDL rootkits. It finds the infected driver and then reboots the machine while replacing the driver with a clean version. Then I run MBAM for leftovers. Before HMP I had to deal with using antirootkits like rootrepeal, gmer, icesword, etc. HMP makes it soooo much easier :D I also used to use combofix but haven't had to in forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.