Bogus anti-virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by WilliamP, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

How do these things get on legitimate web sites? I have helped 3 people clean up their computers after getting themselves infested. These are bad. One of the computers I had to format and reload. Twice it tried to get to my wife's computer but luckily she called me,and didn't click on anything. Yesterday my granddaughter came to get me because it was trying again. Both times they were just going to what you would think would be safe web sites. My granddaughter was looking for poems. She was using Google. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Use WOT with Norton/ClearCloud DNS to avoid such nasties. These nasties are much more common even on known sites.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Also, you could use Firefox with the Adblock Plus Addon (Subscribe to Easylist and Malware Domains).

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Is the problem hacked web sites or being re-directed?

5. vtol

vtol Registered Member

some of it may relate also to SEO, they are good at getting their sites ranked top for common search terms. then there is also the possibility of dns poisoning. and of course if anything on the respective user machines altering the search results. after that it is often java script/executable on the falsely advertised search results to pop up (inescapable) stuff

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Although this relates to ESET anti-virus, I think it may help you.
    What can I do to minimize the risk of a malware attack

7. katio

katio Guest

Ads, iframes, sql injection, XSS, DNS hijack, insecure ftp/ssh passwords, insider job... Or the site isn't legitimate at all, the mentioned SEO hacking, rogue Adwords or for example phishing links in user submitted content.

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You don't indicate how they got infested: was it by a drive-by download, or were they tricked into installing something?

There is a big difference between those attack methods, and each requires a different preventative measure.

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.