Encrypted Skype - Or Anything Better?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've been looking around trying to figure out if there is anything to run Skype through an encrypted program like ZFone but I don't see that there is any such thing.

So I've looked to alternatives for Skype but finding something that can compete just as low, that's difficult. At $2.99 a month for the Unlimited Canada/USA, I don't know of anyone that can top that offer.

1. So can we add a layer of security to Skype?
    2. What alternatives to Skype do you know and that offer encrypted VOIP?

I know a lot of VOIP alternatives, but I don't know the entire WWW, so maybe I have overlooked something.

Please share what you know for a great Skype Alternative and something that might be also great for the security/privacy conscious.

THANKS

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not sure if you're aware, but all elements in Skype are already encrypted including voice, video and text. It was recently that India's goverment wanted the creators of Skype to ease their encryption because they had difficulties cracking it. That sounds pretty secure to me.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes I'm aware that Skype encrypts, but I'd like to take a multi layered approach to this and add something on top if possible, or look for other VOIP alternatives...

5. nix

nix Registered Member

My understanding is that it's difficult to take a multilayered approach to Skype. Are you adverse to a hardphone VOIP setup? Do you like Zfone as your software? What kind of setup is ideal for you, in order to narrow the possibilities?

Here's a pretty nice article that lays out some possibilities:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6117815.html

There's lots of different ways to go. I have a particular interest in Zfone, but I wasn't able to get much user feedback on it here at Wilders at few weeks back, so I'm glad it's come up again.

6. Simon T

Simon T Registered Member

Wow, didn't know about Zfone. Thanks for posting, looking forward to hearing more about it and if anyone has used it/advice?

7. Simon T

Simon T Registered Member

Just talked to a friend who said it hasn't really taken off because of the authentication procedures... How the person you're calling needs to confirm you're who you say you are by entering some code and such.
    Although he couldn't give me any concrete experience, only just what he's heard....o_O

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ahh well, since I just mentioned Skype and Zfone I assumed we're just talking software. :)

No, don't care for hardware, just looking for something on the computer side as a software application for now.

Also I have been looking at Softphones, but boy SIP does seem a bit more complicated. I still can't figure out something to use as SIP that would work as easy as Skype...

Yeah not sure how good ZFone is, just know that Phil Zimmermann is a pretty big player in the world of security. :)

9. nix

nix Registered Member

I don't know, Simon. It looks pretty straightforward to me. I think we can handle some code and such if it means encrypted VOIP, right?;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.