Questions about Humyo Online Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Wendi, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I'm considering Trend Micro's Humyo online backup service, and have a few questions...

Would one Humyo ($7/mo/100GB) account cover my 3 family computers (2 PC's & a Mac)?

Also, does Humyo provide for syncing files/folders beween PC & Mac?

Is there another service that provides a more cost-effective solution for my requirements?

Thank you!

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

While I don't use any online backup service I recently researched quite a few of them for my daughter and her family (2 PCs). She needed a cost-effective and reputable service for backup only (no file syncing or sharing) and for her Mozy was the 'best fit for the money'.

Since your family has 3 (mixed) computers, and you also wish to sync files between your PCs and Mac, I don't think Humyo would be the most cost-effective choice for you (and Mozy doesn't fit the bill). I believe the most cost-effective service for your needs may be SpiderOak (providing that 100GB is enough for your 3 computers). If you haven't done so already you may want to review the recent SpiderOak thread here.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Check this link http://www.humyo.com/pages/en/smartdrive, there is a Win and Mac version of their software, so I guess the answer to your question about sync PC & Mac could be positive. I use Humyo but only on PCs so I cannot give you a definitive answer. Best thing is to ask them.

If you want only backup then there are more convenient solutions. The syncing part is the hard one. I don't think that you can find another service that has Win and Mac software and does backup and sync and offers as minimum package 100GB with that money.

4. Aaron Here

Sure Humyo offers Win and Mac versions, but because its fee is assessed on a per computer basis it's simply not cost-effective for a family needing to backup and sync 2 PCs and a Mac. On the other hand, Wendy could install SpiderOak on all 3 of her computers under one account.

5. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Last time I checked Humyo offered the service for 3 machines.
    http://help.humyo.com/content/7/25/en/can-i-install-the-desktop-client-on-multiple-pcs.html

I have it on 3 and pay the same money.

6. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

First of all, I want to thank both of you for the informative feedback.

@NoIos, your link references multiple PCs, not multiple computers. Considering that one of our PCs is a Mac, would one Huymo account still cover our 3 computers? :doubt:
    ....Btw, I have asked Humyo that very question, but haven't received their reply yet.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

You're welcome. Actually the link mentions "3 machines". Hope they reply back to you soon, so this way we'll know for sure.

8. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I'll definitely post their answer here - if and when they reply. Btw, would you happen to be located in the US (since Humyo is in the UK, I was wondering about their performance for US subscribers)?

9. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

No I'm in Europe. They're located in UK but I have no idea how their network is structured, if they have servers around the world, which providers and datacenters use.

London is the most direct link from Europe for those who live in the US. Then it depends if you're on the west or east coast.

Best thing to do: sign up for a free account and test the speeds.

10. Aaron Here

Wendy, I'm now interested (for myself) so I signed up for a free SpiderOak account and will be testing it for a while. Then I'll give Humyo a try and see how the two services compare.

11. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I would certainly like to hear your observations about the two (especially as to what extent their local software impacts system performance)!

I'm still waiting for a reply from Humyo about running our 2 PCs and a Mac under one account. If I can't do that then SpiderOak wins by default.

Again, my thanks to you (and NoIos) for your insight.

12. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Wendi, I have not noticed any performance issues with Humyo, at least compared to other similar software. I have never used SpiderOak, so I have nothing to say about it.

13. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

That's good to hear. As mentioned above, I'm still awaiting a reply from Humyo, although I just received an acknowledgement of my contact (from Trend Micro).

14. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I just received a reply from humyo, with 'Yes' and 'Yes' answers to my first two questions (above), so I thought I'd post that to close-out this thread.

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone with experience using this product? Looks like TM lowered the price to about $35 a year (a sale, at least for now) and says backup amount is unlimited.

16. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Wow, that's a good deal!!

17. acr1965

I'm going to get in on this deal as the price is pretty nice for unlimited backup. Things seem to be going fairly smoothly with this program now as well.

18. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I wonder if the unlimited backup is good for only a year.

19. acr1965

I don't know, but the way the sale ad is laid out it appears only the price is the special- so maybe the unlimited backup for home users will be available after the first year. I noticed when I installed the SafeSync program there was a message pop up indicating I had not used any of my 100 or 150 GB storage space. But once I got signed up I saw an "unlimited space" tag line (on pic).

This has continuous backup and files I recently saved to targeted folders looked to be synced almost immediately. There's also a context menu sync available from the "send to" option when you right click. This appeared on files and folders.

About the only questions I have are 1. how many computers does a license work with? 2. Are previous files that have changed saved? and 3. is there an option anywhere to schedule syncing?

FWIW- I have an android phone and went to the Market to download the SafeSync app- all went fine. I was also able to download and view a pdf document fairly easily.

For a online storage beginner like me this SafeSync looks like a winner for the price.

Attached Files:

20. acr1965

I purchased and my account still shows "unlimited space". Also, my expiration date is 2/2/2012 so I guess they stack the one year on top of the 30 day trial. Billed $35.95.

21. acr1965

I have a friend ask a question for which I don't know the answer. Does anyone know if Humyo/TrendMicro SafeSync allow backups from a networked drive?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.