ekrn.exe problem (fixed)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DooGie, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

A few days ago I noticed that my CPU idle temp had risen by around 6ºC from 35ºC to 41ºC.
    I opened up Task Manager and noticed that ekrn.exe was using between 12% and 24% of CPU resources. I rebooted the PC and checked again with the same result, it was almost like ekrn.exe was stuck in a loop which was surviving reboots. This continued for a few days so I decided to uninstall NOD32 and reinstall. I uninstalled through Windows Programs and Features, rebooted then did a manual cleanup of any leftover files and registry entries.
    After a clean reinstall everything is back to normal and my idle CPU useage is back to 0%.

My reason for posting is really to ask if anyone can explain what could have caused the problem in the first place?

Running Windows 7 x64 and NOD32 4.2.58.3

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

who knows, as a guess, it was trying to scan large archives or scheduled scan of whole drive etc.

3. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

What, for 4 days :)

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Maybe you should have asked for assistance while it was happening and their tech support wouldn't have to guess like me :)

whoever needs to remove Eset use ESET Start Menu uninstaller
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

and not

5. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

Thanks for the link Cudni. I've bookmarked it for future reference.
    Also you are correct I should have reported the problem to ESET and asked for assistance.
    No matter it's fixed now :)

6. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Going off-topic a little, but can somebody tell me *why* it's better to use the start-menu option, rather than appwiz.cpl (programs and features) ? Or rather, why the KB article is much stronger ("do not attempt...."). ?

I'll bet 99% of the users out there will use one or the other, interchangeably, expecting both methods to do the same. I use appwiz.cpl for removing absolutely everything, so what's the reason behind this one single package being any different?

Curious to know, and also curious to know why ESET can't make both routes behave in the same way.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.