Flash not working with SRP

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DigitalMan, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

I updated my Adobe Flash player to the latest version ("You have version 10,1,53,64 installed") on a Windows Vista Business 32 bit, and now when I have my Software Restriction Policy enabled I get a "flash installer/updater crashed" error which crashes my IE8.

My SRP is set per http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/ and worked just fine before this Flash update.

I even made a path exception for the Flash plugin and Flash Active X .exe's in the System32\Macromed\Flash folder. This made no difference at all.

Any ideas?

2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Maybe it got corrupted? Uninstall flash and then reinstall it? I don't have Vista, I'm on WinXP Pro SP3 in a LUA with SRP and the same version Flash you updated too and no problems with IE8.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

in my case Flash is working with SRP... i can play youtube videos..
    metacafe and dailymotion is not working though :'(

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I have Vista Home Premium with SRP enabled by a reg file. I had the same error you report.

I had tried reinstalling several times with no success. I finally downloaded the uninstaller from Adobe, toggled off the SRP, ran the uninstaller from the admin account, reinstalled flash and made sure it was working on both admin and limited accounts, then toggled the SRP back on.

Hope this helps.

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I spoke too soon. I had forgotten to toggle the SRP back on. So Flash was working. Once I enabled the SRP again Flash gives the error again. Only with IE not Firefox.

6. the_slasher

the_slasher Registered Member

I also experience the same problems however if I change the TransparentEnabled = 1 (exclude DLLs) then IE 8 doesn't crash.

I'm using Win 7 Home Premium 64

Regards

7. tcarrbrion

tcarrbrion Registered Member

The new flash is really bad. On every page with flash it copies a DLL to the temp directory with a random name and uses it. Just the sort of thing malware would do!

I use applocker rather than SRP and got round this by adding a DLL rule for applications signed by adobe. I hope this means the DLL must be signed, must check.

You should be able to find what SRP is blocking by looking in the event viewer. If you can capture the temp file it might be possible to create a hash rule for it.

8. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

Ouch! If Flash actually does that, it's fairly horrible. I don't use Flash on IE, so I wouldn't know. Actually, I plain don't use IE - it doesn't have the features I need.

It must mean exactly that - the only other options are that either AppLocker's config is somehow corrupted so that it misidentifies an unsigned dll for a signed one, or some other rule is in effect that allows that dll file in spite of it being unsigned.

If Flash on Firefox works just fine with SRP/AppLocker dll rules, I'd guess the problem is in the IE version of Flash. Pretty interesting. I haven't heard of a problem like this before: Flash 10.0 versions used to work just fine on IE with SRP dll rules.

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

slasher and tcarrbrion thanks for the replies.

Yes, only the IE version of Flash 10.1 has the problem. 10.0 worked fine with SRP.

I think I'll do without Flash on IE rather than make an allowance in the SRP. Hopefully html5 will rid us of Flash.

10. the_slasher

the_slasher Registered Member

tcarrbrion thanks to your post i was able to find the dll but it's not a dll file on my system but a random tmp file something like 2967.tmp. It has a valid digital signature by adobe so your applocker settings works :)

SRP doesn't say anything regarding this file in the event viewer maybe because mine is just via registry hack hehe.

like jdd58 i have just disabled flash on ie :) anyway i use firefox hehe

11. tcarrbrion

tcarrbrion Registered Member

The DLL is signed by Adobe Systems Incorporated. It stays behind after exiting IE. Its file name is 4 random characters with extension .tmp and size 305KB.

Firefox does not have the problem. I installed the new version and tested it in Firefox. When I got back from work I had complaints about masses of pop-up error messages on many web pages. Everyone else at home uses IE.

12. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I ran into this issue recently with the newest Flash and IE. Adding an AppLocker DLL rule to allow DLLs from Adobe solved the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.