sd card not considered removable media? / NOD32 4.2.40 64bit @ win 7 64bit

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vtol, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtol

vtol Registered Member

..., which would be sort of strange, considering the age of the medium. the controller does not even show in NOD! meaning that dvd/cd drives and usb pen drives are considered removable, yet there is access for SD cards! time to pick up pace and get this updated

25-06-2010 04-19-28.png

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In the screenshot you posted of what appears to be the Allowed Removable Media dialog from ESET's software (the title bar was missing so I could not positively identify it), I did not see the Ricoh SD Disk Device device listed on any of the USB ports, nor is a drive letter listed for it (it is shown as drive H: and only F: and G: appear in your screenshot). Likewise, the Device Properties panel from the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC) shows values beginning with "RISD\…" instead of "USB\…" as I would expect for a USB-attached mass storage device.

Since you did not provide any further details about the operating environment for the computer, my initial guess is that the Secure Digital card reader is connected to the computer's USB controllers in a non-standard fashion that bypasses the USB stack entirely. This is sometimes done when a computer manufacture wants to implement some additional functionality or features that are not available (or perhaps to provide support for an otherwise-incompatible legacy device).

Another possibility might be that the Secure Digital card reader is connected on a different type of interface. For example, Lexar makes a CompactFlash card reader that connects to the computer using FireWire (IEEE-1394b) and WiebeTech makes (or used to make) a flash drive that interfaced via FireWire (as opposed to USB), as well.

The title of the Device Properties dialog positively identifies the Secure Digital card reader as a Ricoh SD Disk and a bit of searching on Ricoh's web site came up with a page named "PC Card/Flash Memory Card/IEEE1394 Controller Series" on their web site which shows the different controllers that they offer to OEMs. Only one of them, the R5U880, interfaces via USB, the majority use a PCI or PCIe interface. If you are using a notebook computer or home theater/multimedia PC, it may use one of these instead of a conventional USB interface to connect the Secure Digital card reader to the system.

That said, blocking for removable media is currently implemented for storage devices interfaced via USB. Additional functionality is, however, planned for future releases of the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually support for internal card readers will be added in one of the upcoming versions. Currently only USB removable media are supported.

4. vtol

vtol Registered Member

thanks feedback, actually would appreciate support in the next and not 'one' of the upcoming

5. vtol

vtol Registered Member

correct

it is drive h as clearly shown in the screenshot: but not USB, not everything is (old fashioned) USB....

wrong, please see thread header

correct

obviously

solely USB is not mentioned but removable media in the NOD setting.

please do not respond with nonsense just for the sake of responding, it is just not helpful

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

USB may be an "old" interface, however, it is well-understood and inexpensive to implement, which makes it useful for attaching memory card readers to PCs. Just because something is old does not mean it is less useful: My favorite keyboard is an AT-style one with a 5-pin DIN connector.

I did, of course, read the Subject: line of the message and saw the operating system, but there was no information such as the brand and model of computer involved, which would have allowed a more definitive answer (e.g., "Computer model X has Y which is not supported....").

I am sorry to hear that you felt my response was nonsense and unhelpful. One thing you may wish to keep in mind is that although you did ask for—and receive—assistance with ESET's software, you did so in a public forum, as opposed to by a direct one-to-one communication with ESET's support department via telephone or e-mail. Also, you asked what was an interesting question; at least to me. As such, I felt a detailed answer was merited, not just for you but for everyone else who might have the same question as well, or read this message thread and be curious about the matter, especially if they are a novice computer user or are not very technically-savvy but still wanted to understand more about it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. vtol

vtol Registered Member

operating environment for the computer seems a bit prosaic for a a novice computer user or are not very technically-savvy, when it usually would be just machine's specification/configuration, something like that.

I had hoped that I made the point by visualizing with the graphic that it is not USB and not showing in the NOD interface selector and unless you would considered a that I tweaked or cut the graphic I don't see the point of describing the graphic.

The reply Marcos gave just served the matter, clarifying the lack of support of SD cards as removable medium that can be blocked by Eset. And that there might be support for it sometime in the future.

8. vtol

vtol Registered Member

no support in 4.2.58.3

9. vtol

vtol Registered Member

what is that value of knowing the flaws and not fixing such?

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

removed off topic "pleasantries". Please discuss subject without becoming personal in discussion. Thank you all

11. vtol

vtol Registered Member

4.2.64.12 - SD cards still not getting blocked

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I wrote before that it's already in the wishlist for future versions.

13. vtol

vtol Registered Member

duly noticed it. that said this is an upcoming version in regard to your earlier post, not to mentioned that now it is only on the wish-list whilst you stated clearly that it will be implemented. few things from the wish-lists ever make it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.