Eset Smart Security & .mkv file streaming

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by optek, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optek

optek Registered Member

I`m using Windows 7 (x64), I have the Lacie Lacinema Classic HD media player (1TB) connected to a hard-wired ethernet connection and I`m using Twonky Media Server v5.1.3, also using version 4.2.40.0 of Eset Smart Security.

I have been able to stream high definition .avi files without any issues at all.

Yesterday, was the first time I attempted to stream a high definition .mkv file. The result was (after displaying the netwok files and selecting the said file) a blank TV screen. After returnng to the PC, I discovered the Lacinema_HD network icon gone from Windows7.

Switched PC off and back on again..... still no icon. Applied a system restore to a few hours back and the icon appears again.

Tried one more time and the same thing happened again.

I then turned the firewall off in ESET SMART SECURITY and still nothing, so I uninstalled ESET completely and it reappears.

At this point with no ESET installed I attempt to play the file again and it plays fine without any problems.

So the conclusion is:- ESET DOESN`T LIKE .MKV FILES - BUT IT LIKES .AVI FILES.

I then reinstall ESET and decide to investigate further.... looking at the firewall log in my AV software, on trying to play a .mkv file, I notice the log:
    DETECTED TCP FLOODING ATTACK 192.168.2.3.4497
    DETECTED TCP FLOODING ATTACK 192.168.2.3.4105
    DETECTED TCP FLOODING ATTACK 192.168.2.3.48547

Not really sure how this forum may be able to help me, I have contacted ESET over the issue..... I just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems with streaming high definition .mkv files with ESS?

A friend of mine has exactly the same model as mine and uses McAfee AV software with Windows7 x64 and has no problem streaming high definition .mkv files via the same hard-wired ethernet method.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. optek

optek Registered Member

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have just "uncecked" the Protocol Filtering box (Enable Application Protocol Filtering) and have tried it and it allows .mkv to be streamed - but looking at your informative post, your method goes a little deeper, so at least I know i am on the right path.

Will leaving the Protocol filtering box unchecked be safe?

Cheers.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I think it is safe. Nevertheless it would be good if the issue can be fixed

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

If you're just streaming in your Trusted Zone, go into Configure rules and zones > Zones. There should be a zone called 'Addresses excluded from active protection (IDS)', click edit and add your subnet to the exclusions.

6. optek

optek Registered Member

Thanks for the update.... what exactly do you mean by subnet?

On the software that came with the Lacie Lacinema HD Classic (Twonky Media Server) I notice there is reference to:
    Network Interfaces: 192.168.2.2

7. stackz

stackz Registered Member

From an elevated command prompt enter ipconfig /all

Your gateway address will be listed - probably 192.168.2.1
    Subnet mask - probably 255.255.255.0

Your subnet should be 192.168.2.0 / 255.255.255.0 (not listed)
    To make it easy, you could just exclude the local address listed in the logs as flooding (192.168.2.3).

For an explanation of subnet address / subnet mask - google. :)

8. optek

optek Registered Member

Helpful explanation :) Google is also helpful but you give me the answer I am looking for without trolling through an online encyclopedia. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.