Erase files and folders

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JerryM, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am buying a new computer and giving the old one to a friend. I am not really worried in him attempting to obtain information from it. However, I would like to erase some tax and financial info plus passwords.
    I don't want to have to reinstall the OS.

I notice that often when I uninstall and install programs the passwords, and other information is not erased. I would like to be able to erase the log in info that is on IE and FF.

Is there a good program that will do the job? Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I admit some surprise that no one here has needed to erase files and folders.
    Anyone?

Regards,
    Jerry

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

:ninja:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

If you have such sensitive data on the disc: which implies banking logins etc, never mind other personal stuff: e-mails passwords etc: and you haven't been in a VM or Linux Live CD:nuke and reinstall
    Give a nice clean gift.
    Even do a slipstream ??: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp ( i'm assuming XP obviously)
    ;)
    You may never be really sure you have cleaned out all your info !!
    Windows hides 'stuff' everywhere :shifty:

You want an eraser or two:
    Eraser: ( version 5.7 the best still imho)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/files/Eraser 5/5.7/Eraser57Setup.zip/download
    BCWipe: http://www.jetico.com/wiping-bcwipe/

CCleaner might help: lots of options: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Get the 'slim' build: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I'd be surprised if you didn't already know these utilities ??

Delete files in safe mode if they look locked.

Passwords: where ?? to what ??

This help ??

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

ya, if you're serious: that's the go.

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Huh? I don't follow. If you clean up your personal info (and you could use CClean to help do that), and then use the Wipe Free Space option, how does that not work? From what I read (from multiple sources), a drive does not need to be totally wiped by something like DBAN to clear off all sensitive information.

Now if you mean that due to human "issues", something is overlooked, then that is a totally different thing. And that doesn't invalidate my method (if done correctly.)

If I'm missing something, I'd like to know because I have a PC that I want to donate soon...

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if you are not worried about the person who you are donating to then simply deleting browser cache and history from both your browsers will do fine. It will not be retrieved by anybody but a skilled technician and even that with some effort. Where is the tax and financial info stored, what prog? That will determine what folders to remove. And CCleaner is handy in dumping temp folders generally.

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

It's all the Windows logs and system files that have MRUs, registry details that are missed, and he's right, it's impossible to get everything.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am giving it to a good friend, and not concerned about him or her getting personal information.

The Tax information is in the Tax Act Folder for the particular year. From past experience I know that if the basic exe program is not on the system the reports cannot be retrieved. I will just delete everything that applies and the basic programs. That will take care of that.
    I use CCleaner often.

One alternative would be to reformat the machine, but he does not have high speed internet, and from XP Home SP2 from 5 years ago would seem to require hours of downloading.
    I am not sure what is required as I have never done it. I have a friend who can do it, but I am not sure he would want to go through the time and trouble.

In addition there are some programs, such as Bible and Card programs, that he would like. So I am thinking I will just delete everything he doesn't need and let him do any additional cleaning. I will leave Avast Home and MBAM free on it also.

I do appreciate the help for you folks.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Ahh! Ok, I understand better. Mot a concern, those are covered. I beleive I can eliminate them to my satisfaction.

Jerry: I never used any tax prep software but at one point, I know that TurboTax stored some personal identifying info in plain text files. If you have eliminated all the tax related stuff, and nothing else is an issue, then it sounds like you are probably in decent shape...

12. caspian

caspian Registered Member

R-Wipe has an entire menu for wiping all kinds of traces that are left over. You can try it free for 2 weeks. http://download.cnet.com/R-Wipe-Clean/3000-2144_4-10159835.html

Bruce Schneier recommends BC Wipe to wipe your hard drive. Free trial. http://www.jetico.com/

What I would do is just wipe everything and do a system recovery. I love HP. I can just restart and tap F11 and it restores everything back to where it was when I first bought it.

13. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

try eraser from
    Code:
    http://eraser.heidi.ie/
    . its free, has many erase methods from 1 pass to gutmann, erases ADS and cluster tip area

14. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Please keep in mind that my computer experience is rather limited; but for what it is worth I have been using Webroot Window Washer, Version 6.5 (6.5.5.155) and it, as far as I know, works fine.
    John

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If you have Webroot Windows Washer you can create a Secure Erase disk called Drive Nuke. It will erase everything on the disk. The problem that i can forsee is you will need to have a full copy (not an upgrade) of the operating system that was on the PC. The operating system will have to be installed back on the disk. You will not have to worry about anything being retrieved from the disk. If you don't want to do that then i would suggest you use Eraser 5.7 if you have Windows XP, and Erase any sensitive files on your disk, and then Erase the empty space with Eraser. I would set eraser to make 7 passes on your sensitive files, and 3 passes on your empty space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.