Can't install

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dueceswild, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

Okay, downloaded the trial. Current AV user. I tried to do the install after removing NOD32 and restarting. The install seems to work well, then I get the unsigned driver popup. Click to continue, and immediately ESS rolls back everything and uninstalls. Tried several times; same thing. As soon as I click the continue popup, the installation rolls back. The only message I get is that the installation could not be completed.

I even re-downloaded in case the installer was corrupted.

All other security software disabled. OA completely removed; rebooted twice. Cleaned remnants from registry.

Any thoughts?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what is the exact error message?

3. dueceswild

Not looking at the screen now, but it's not so much an error message on Eset's end. Box just says the install ended prematurely. The only error message per se is from Microsoft with regard to unsigned drivers.

I got the same message once with the new install of NOD 32. But, when I clicked to allow, it went ahead and installed.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This thread may help with your driver issue.

5. dueceswild

Yes, that is the screen I receive. When I install after acknowledging the popup and choose to install anyway, NOD32 installs and works perfectly. ESS never installs. Doesn't matter if I disable or not.

6. siljaline

You would have to assign the driver signing component of Windows to ignore prior to any installation.

A note to all that may happen across the thread, the screenshot is for illustrative purposes, only.

Windows Driver Signing is very important and should not be adjusted to suit a problematic software installation, save extenuating circumstances such as this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. dueceswild

How would I do that? The link shows how to disable ESET from checking for windows updates. I can't get ESET installed, so I assume I need to change the signing option in Windows. How do I get to the screen to do that on XP SP3?
    I forgot to mention, on the times I uninstalled the AV portion, I disabled self defense, rebooted, and uninstalled. But, I think that ESS would uninstall the AV for me?

8. siljaline

9. dueceswild

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and report back either way.

10. siljaline

You are welcome, the last links I posted would be the fastest, your option.

Regards,

11. dueceswild

Download link for the trial doesn't work. Only had the trial link for 5 days. When it didn't work, I deleted the installer. Tried to download again today- link doesn't work. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Oh well. Happy with the AV anyway.

12. siljaline

Try the EU Trial link
    I was not aware that ESET had instituted a email requirement at the above link sorry for the inconvenience if it causes you any delays.
    The ESET USA requires more and I do not know what the turn-time is for either site.
    If you have a backup on-hand, please use that.

Regards,

13. dueceswild

I am unable to do this on my system. Even logged in as admin, I can tick the "Ignore" box, press ok, and immediately open that window up again, only to find "Warn" selected. If I choose the Admin option, the only available choices are "Warn" and "Block".

I did some research and found driver signing was linked to windows cryptographic services. Even stopping the service in services.msc did not help; the installation was rolled back, and the Eset installer notified me no changes were made to my system. Really stumped.

14. siljaline

Noted that you are having problems getting the Driver Signing Option to stick.

From your keyboard, press the Windows Key and the Pause|Break Button simultaneously, this will bring up the System Properties Console, click on the Hardware Tab, navigate to the Driver Signing Button, set to Warn or Ignore and check the item, Make System Default, let me know if you were able to do this.

15. dueceswild

Same as before. Won't stick.

16. siljaline

See this related thread it may help, otherwise, I am stumped.

17. dueceswild

Thanks for your help on this. I don't see where disabling windows updates from within NOD32 has anything to do with this. I can't get ESS installed to disable it from there; and NOD32 is uninstalled prior to that installation so it's irrelevant with regard to the AV. FWIW, I did disable updates in the windows update center temporarily while attempting the installation.

I guess I give up. I just really wanted this to work; ESET gave me a great deal to upgrade; but it was time limited. Probably can't go past Monday or Tuesday.

18. siljaline

I was hoping the other similar thread would be of some use to you, evidently it was not, I am remiss in being able to help you further as I am out of ideas as to what to suggest next.
    The only option I could offer is to submit an issue ticket to ESET

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

19. dueceswild

Many thanks regardless. I wanted to mention I just tried to install in safe mode, and was told something like "the adminstrator has set policies to prevent this" but I was logged in as administrator. :doubt:

20. siljaline

I do appreciate the thanks, I am not sure you can push an installation of ESET software in Safe Mode, the errors you were getting doing this may have been erroneous.
    This is a stand-alone, non Networked home PC, correct?

If this is the case, Group Policy settings should be default and not constrain you from accomplishing anything that a GPO or Group Policy Settings may restrict you from doing.

21. dueceswild

That is correct. I too am really stumped. I know this isn't the correct forum, but I made a post in the Look n Stop forum you may find interesting siljaline. (Since I couldn't get ESS to work, thought I would try that one). Never had a problem with ZA or OA. Installing or running. Just don't need the HIPS now.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=269337

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  22. siljaline

Thanks for linking were you have posted additional queries, it is good for continuity of your post here. I wish you well, advise if there is anything else we can do for you.

Regards,

23. dueceswild

I don't mind submitting the ticket, but as time is kinda of the essence if a Mod could pick this up-and it's a simple fix- that would be great. If not, time will probably run out on my offer before I get it resolved through email support.

24. siljaline

Call ESET directly if you wish (USA) 1-866-343-3738 # 3. Pacific Time.

Good luck and regards,

25. dueceswild

Ticket submitted. Hopefully I can get this resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.