Latest Final Builds Messes Up Vista Sidebar !

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Temp Member, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

So today I renewed my license for ESS as it ran out many weeks ago and I was running the last beta build (best build ever TBH) so this extended my time.

I was waiting till my beta ran out and to read about any issues here with the latest final build and TBH until the fixes of the last great beta build I was done forever with ESET.

I seen some have issues with printers etc so I thought that's fine and I installed it.

On reboot my Sidebar Gadgets were all messed up in wrong order etc.

OK I know the Vista sidebar can from time to time mess up and I know how to un-register then re-register it and fix it and how to optimise it.

None of the fixes worked and every reboot it was messed up.

I did some reading and seen Avast can do this so I assume since its a AV so could other AV's.

Now ESS ain't the easiest thing to totally disable so I disabled what I could using "MSCONFIG" and rebooted to Safe Mode and renamed the "ekrn.exe" to ".ekrn.exeOLD" (cannot do in normal mode as its locked.

I then booted to Windows normally and without any messing about my Sidebar was 100 perfect, it fixed itself !

I rebooted a dozen times and it was perfect every time.

Renamed ESS doing reverse of above and it messed up again.

Now I previously paid for a 2 year license and basically beta tested all the buggy 3.X builds before they finally got good and the same for the disaster than was 4.X builds before the very recent fixes mainly in the last beta build.

Today I have renewed my license for another 2 years and this new build is more bugged than any previous (well apart from the Http/Web protection slowness issue of past builds).

I know for a fact it is not my PC, I cannot fix the Sidebar if ESS is running, it fixes itself if ESS is not running.

Now the only option I have for now is to try find a link to download the last beta build which is the best build in a long time.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We haven't been actually reported this issue from anyone else. If you are able to reproduce it at any time, please do so and try the following, one at a time:
    - disable automatic real-time protection startup
    - disable self-defence
    - disable anti-stealth

After each step, restart the computer for the changes to take effect. Which of the above resolves the problem, if any?

3. Temp Member

I know it seem only I here have it but its common for other AV's to cause it, more so the FW part.

I can reproduce it every reboot.

I will try the above now.

EDIT : None of that worked, I have even delayed my Sidebar by 5mins and it still messes up so its not as if both are fighting to start at same time.

Now (right now) mu License just died and I have not received my new one I paid for just under 24 hours ago.

I received the confirmation after 30sec and the invoice after 1min but that's it.

I cannot be bothered to even fill in the form to get support as I'm sick to the back teeth of the lack of professionalism TBH.

Any other company gives you a serial/key for any Software/App's instantly as soon as you pay even if its 3am in the morning as its automated.

EDIT 2 : Totally removed ESET, cleaned every last part of it out of all folders and registry.

Rebooted and Sidebar is prefect, repeated the reboots 30 times and each time Sidebar is perfect.

Installed it and let it update and left FW in Auto mode (did not import my settings), rebooted and Sidebar is a mess, repeated a dozen reboots and the same.

Just because I am the only one does not mean its my end as I have just proved this multiple times now and the previous builds did not do this.

Its the same as not all users get printer issue with this build but you have accepted its a glitch and will be fixed next build.

1) I need a safe link to grab the last Beta build

2) I need my new License (would rather have license interactive chat than file in forms and wait another 24hours).

EDIT 3 :

Problem solved !

Did all the same total removal as above then :

1) Get last beta build from a trusted site (will be a demo/trial but will not work for me as I have used full version).

2) Swap the demo/trial User/Pass for one found on a Warez site (runs out on 16 April), hopefully ESET will send me my legit License by then.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please disable automatic real-time protection startup and restart the computer to see if it makes a difference? Also you can try disabling HTTP checking if disabling real-time protection has no effect on the issue.

Since this problem has not been reported by anyone else nor could we replicate it on our end, hence we'll need your assistance in pinpointing it.

5. Temp Member

I have already did everything you asked me to and more.

I can only have it installed BUT totally disabled (the way I described above) if I want it not to mess up my PC.

No other build including all known buggy V3 and V4 builds ever did this before only these 2 new final builds.

EDIT : I may not have tested the HTTP setting because finally in that Beta onwards it does not slow down Vista SP2's surfing on 99% of websites so have no reason to disable it now.

I will try it today.

6. Temp Member

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

as it seems nobody else (including myself on 32 vista ultimate and 7hp 64 bit) is experiencing this problem have you looked at your windows services/ netframe installation and settings?

8. Temp Member

I'm not looking at anything else.

It DID not happen on any previous builds inc buggy builds of ESS, it is only in last 2 final builds.

I'm sick to the back teeth of messing with my PC as the end user is always to blame but miraculously ESET seem to fix ALL issues eventually.

The Beta build is on right now and perfect.

Not 1 thing changed on my PC from the Beta build to the 2 final builds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.