AVG Link scanner and Identity Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

AVG acquired these two technologies and made LinkScanner as freeware.

These were being used some people here but noiw I hardly see any mention of these. Are there still users of these.

I think LinkScnaner is a good tool to add along with Avast Free as a free set up for novice users. What5 do you think?

Thanks

2. CiX

CiX Registered Member

But Linkscanner always marks some dangerous site as safe :thumbd:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Some should not be an issue. After all it can,t be 100%.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes,

I liked it because it also protected against IE exploits. In the past obe could deselect the menu bar, without disabling the Browser Helper Object and everything kept working (so you did not had that AVG bar displayed)

In recent versions they disabled the functionality when not allowing them to use Yahoo/Ask (or other search engine), so I disabled it.

For IE, there is Trusteer Rapport available, together with Microsofts Smartscreen this is a strong alternative for noobs (together with Avast 5).

For Chromium, I like WOT, because it only uses an icon in an existing menu bar so this keeps you browser minimalistic.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, there are still people using them. I mean, why not? It won't hassle less knowledgeable computer users.

Linkscanner has one major advantage above all other equivalent tools. Which one? It protects users regardless of the browser.

Identity Protection will protect users against new malware if this new malware follows known patterns. So, this is a good way for this users to be better protected against new malware, without all the hassle of HIPS.

This is how Linkscanner essentially works:

- Protects users against exploits, at the moment it really matters, when you enter the site;
    - Protects users against known bad sites, though not the main task, hence the reason you may see it tag some bad site as not bad;

Now, I don't know in which scenario you found safe sites to be bad, but if not in the second scenario I mentioned, then it could be the following:

1 - A user makes a search;
    2 - The user sees that LinkScanner rates it safe;
    3 - The user goes to some bad site.

Now, this bad site could be a rogue security site or similar, or the user could have been redirected to a bad site.

I'm not a programmer, but as far as I can understand, redirecting a user from X site to Y site is not a bad action. There is no malicious code to block it's actions.

So, despite a user is redirected from X (safe site) to Y (bad site), X site source code has no malicious code in it. It's source code only was changed to redirect users to Y (bad site). Now, if there is some attempt to exploit the system, then LinkScanner may stop it (No security tool is 100% efficient. Lets lose hopes here.). If it is a rogue site, well, though it may stop you from entering it, it is not that real task of Linkscanner.

For you to understand better. Lets imagine www.wilderssecurity.com

Say that this forum founder wanted to change the domain to wilderssecurity-forum. Well, a lot of people wouldn't know and when they clicked the link at their browser's favourites they would enter an invalid link.
    Now, what could be done? Well, 1 of 2 options, that I know of.

1 - Put some code in the source code of www.wilderssecurity.com to automatically redirect users to the new forum address. (As you may see, no malicious code)

or

2 - Still allow users to visit www.wilderssecurity.com, but only to see the information that a new address is available.

There is no foolproof solution.

Regards

6. progress

progress Guest

AVG LinkScanner is a nice addition to Panda Cloud AV too, it also works with Opera :)

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It wont install with avast pro because it says it will conflict.I guess it doesnt get on with avast pros script blocker?

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

have you reported that on the avast forums?

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hi...
    No i havent,i only tried myself to install linkscanner today after seeing this thread.I guess most pro/iss users dont use the linkscanner.The pro and iss only include spam filter and virtualization,firewall and the script scanner over the free which apparently works ,so it has to be one of those components.I cant imagine virtualisation ,antispam or firewall would be a problem,so i guess it must be the script shield.
    ellison

10. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

I installed LinkScanner but could not find an easy way to disable it/its process so I removed it.
    I rarely pay attention to WOT as many sites are listed red but no reason for this is given by any of the 50+ that have rated it so (Yet to get infected by any of these).

I now use LinkExtend (Firefox, Flock) which among many other features shows the ratings from 8 different services including WOT, McAfee and Norton.

11. progress

progress Guest

WOT ratings even include political aspects :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.