Staying current with Windows version vs running XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheIgster, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Split from: Avast 5 major issues on XP and Vista

Not trying to be a jerk here, but to be fair, Windows XP was released on October 25, 2001. It's 2010 now. That's 9 years. Maybe time for holdouts to finally upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

You know the same can be said for apple. The only difference is they charge for Service Packs.

As for XP as long as its supported by Microsoft (AKA Updates) People will still install it. The other thing is keep in mind even some computers just before vista was launched still could not run the New OS. (Areo did not function among other sluggish issues with drivers). XP has been a solid system for some and hence why they stay with it. And some people have no choice in the matter without shelling out $$. Also Netbooks STILL ship with XP.

Only in the last 3 months sense 7 was officially released have some people started to move forward.

3. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Please do not forget businesses.
    XP still rules, a company is not going to buy 200+ new PC's c/w Win7 just to keep Microsoft happy.

4. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Not everyone is in a position to be able to upgrade. I'd like to think that since XP is still a widely used OS, and has extended support thru Q2 2014, that s/w companies are not going to abandon ship. I'd also like to point out that Avast still supports Win9x. It's only safe to assume that as with any piece of s/w you will have compatibility issues. I'm sure the Avast team will rectify the issue in due time.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Why upgrade?
    For me that's not going to happen anytime soon. It ain't wore out yet.;)

I'm running XP SP3 with Avast 5.0.377 with no problems.

Hopefully the issue will get corrected soon for those who are having the troubles.

6. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

While I have Windows 7 on my laptop, I still have Win XP on my desktop and have not even thought about upgrading it. I am gonna install avast on my desktop and see if I get any of these issues.

7. TheIgster

Yes guys...stay with XP. No need to move on. Just simply pointing out that using a 9 year old OS might cause more problems than it's worth going forward with more and more apps.

8. DavidCo

For the company I am talking about (I have just retired BTW) the cost of changing was estimated to be £180,000++
    Software Assurance was £35,000 alone.

You put up with a lot of problems to save that.

9. TheIgster

I suppose. Although, if you average that cost over the 9 year period, that is 20,000 per year to stay current.

10. noway

noway Registered Member

Maybe not. I'd rather shop at Barrett-Jackson than the local Hyundai dealer.
    Glad I never upgraded to Vista either, when there were those clammering for holdouts to "upgrade".

11. DavidCo

@TheIgster
    From the sound of it you don't have to deal with a company FD.
    You'll get the £20,000 and then told to come back next year.

Windows 8 in 2years time.

It used to p**s me off no end, especially as I new what the CEO trousered.

hmmm - this is off topic now - gnite

12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Even though OT, it's still of great importance. I can name entire COUNTIES in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, as well as large businesses still using 2000, 9x and DOS. MS is screwing up big time and the AV/AM vendors cannot "cross-platform," which by it's very name is ipso facto an contradiction it terms. At the very best, software tries to sniff out the OS, and WE pray that these guys are successful!

Dave

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Any piece of software nowadays should be able to run without problems on XP, since XP is still so prevalent. There will always be some with issues for whatever reason though, and not always anything to do with the software.

14. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

The problem here is that in a business 20K/year is still money that has to be justified. The question is, what will it do for the bottom line? If you can't demonstrate that it will do something you're not capable of now (that also makes or saves money), then there's no justification for upgrading.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Did you get WIN 7 for Christmas? :D

16. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

staying current may be a very valid point for individuals but not for companies.

companies only upgrade when it brings benefits. because only then it justifies the expenditure.

quote:
    "Just simply pointing out that using a 9 year old OS might cause more problems than it's worth going forward with more and more apps."

i don't know which has more problems at the moment, xp or windows 7.

why spend unnecessary money when xp is still going strong, and probably less problematic than 7?

the last time i upgraded from win98 to xp was at the point where xp has become more stable (sp2) and most good softwares stopped supporting win98. i believe i would do the same with xp :)

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only reason I upgraded to 7 was because it was cheap and a retail license.
    vista worked fine on this machine.
    before this upgrade my computers have had one OS in the lifetime i use it for. I dont see the point in wasting money. what i hate is when people get a new computer now adays and get windows xp on it... the new computer will be able to cope with windows 7 fine and its definitely an improved OS.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So we turned this into a different thread, eh? Okay, seriously, what's the problem with XP? If it still does what an operating system is supposed to do, and it does it well, then why get rid of it? I don't want to hear the security mantra, any OS can be made very secure, as just about anyone here will readily admit. It takes a LOT of money and time to roll out a new OS for businesses, so they especially have perfectly good reason to be hesitant.

If I recall correctly, this thread was originally a part of a complaint about Avast optimizing for Windows 7 and not so much XP. Now, I don't think that was the posters problem, I believe conflicting software/hardware was the issue. But, let's say that XP was the issue, and he runs a decent sized business. Let's also say he has stuck with Avast for a long time and has bought many licenses.

Why shouldn't the poster be upset if XP support was either dropped completely or crippled in some way? Out of all people, vendors know businesses are the last to adopt to new OS versions. On the home front, again, if XP works and works well, why should we care about its age? If you walked up to me and handed me a copy of Windows 2000 Professional to stick on a machine, I'd shake your hand. It's a rock solid release, and, it still is ran by a LOT of companies. Should a rock solid, safe OS be dumped because it isn't new?

Windows 7, and, actually, Vista (once tamed), are perfectly fine operating systems. But they aren't anywhere near "mind blowing", certainly not enough to toss XP in the trash can just because it's aging.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Re: Split from: Avast 5 major issues on XP and Vista

But with Microsoft support ongoing till 2014, there isn't an issue. If Microsoft were to drop support this year for example then maybe there would be an immediate need to switch.

20. TheIgster

Re: Split from: Avast 5 major issues on XP and Vista

Nope, ran the beta while it was beta the entire time and went out and bought a 3 pack as soon as it was released.

Best OS Microsoft has ever created IMO.

AFAIC upgrading to Windows 7 is the way to go for anyone, but then again, that's just my opinion.

21. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Lately I have been seeing less and less development for XP in driver/hardware arena. I have continuted with XP even after picking up a Vista Ultimate boxed for $50 new, and trying 7 beta a lot.

I have recently decided to ignore the slow hdd read/write rates in 7 and simply start using it, as XP is on a slow death. XP is still a faster experience for me, and I really have no issues continueing to use it. I simply am facing the rather sad fact that I am being forced into upgrading by the hardware/software manufacturers.

New hardware next year when the next sata/ssd/usb generations are stable and cheap will mean an upgrade for me. I am confident that upgrade will all but be impossible with XP where drivers are concerned. So I am biting the bullet now.

Having installed both 32 and 64 bit (32 bit being my choise for now) I am pleased with the install and the overall compatability of software/hardware. I have not had to make concessions yet really (because of 32 bit) other than a sub-par hdd performance. I am hoping hdd speed increases with new hardware.

The sad part about 7 (and the same with XP when it first came out) is that M$ had the 'superb' wisdom to radically restructure Explorer and all panels. For the life of me I cannot see why they have made the path to get somewhere so twisted.

But, those who wish to use 7 will have good news. It is not really 'slower' than 7 for the most part. And, with some elbow grease (read, monitoring the registry lol) you CAN tweak this to bend to your will to a large degree. Nowhere near what XP is, becuase 7 is very much changed in GUI aspects, but I think in the end, quite manageable for us XP Power Users who don't want to HAVE to learn so many mundane tasks over again.

Long live XP I say, but I fear that is a slowly fading battle. But who knows.

Sul.

22. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Upgrade? lol I would first have to see some progress before I call this an "upgrade". If this is all Microsoft could come up with in the last 10 years, then I can safely say I'm not looking forward to the next 10.

23. JustJohnny

JustJohnny Registered Member

Not for nothing, but XP is practically 10 years old (which is a lifetime in the tech world). Sure, it still works (and I do use it at work) but come on now. There is something to be said for keeping up with the times. Currently I am running Vista but I am thinking about upgrading. And Vista is a fine OS. But if you were holding out and still using XP, well its time to let it go. Really, XP wasn't even that great.

24. culla

culla Registered Member

i still can't find what important things the new os can do that can't be done with xp until i find i need to upgrade i'm sticking with xp :D

25. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

XP is not being used merely by a few holdouts. It is still 2/3 of the installed Windows user base. Yes, people should be planning their migration path, but, with 2/3 of the Windows install base, any vendor who has dropped or is about to drop XP support is risking a major drop in sales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.