Boot failure need your help please

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Wigman, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

Hello
    I downloaded Paragon HDM 9.0 trial and tried to back up my OS partition to a seperate internal HD and the program said it needed to restart the computer to access the files. When it restarted I got a screen with a couple options.

Screen shows two selections:

Boot from A:
    Win Vista/2008

on the bottom of the screen it says:

"Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press f2 to run setup"

I didn't make a recovery disk before I started (learning the hard way) and didn't see anwhere to download one from the Paragon website so I downloaded HDM 9 onto my XP 32 bit laptop, where I'm typing this now, and made a startup disk. That give me options to boot in several different modes:

Normal mode
    Safe mode
    Low graphics mode
    Hard disk 0 MBR (Paragon)
    Find OSes on your hard disks

I tried them all but none of them work. When I search for OS's on my system it shows my OS as "Win Vista/2008".

The computer I'm having probs with has windows 7 64 bit. The computer I DL'd the HDM 9 to make the recovery disk is XP 32 bit so maybe that's the problem. I looked on the Paragon website and don't see where to DL recovery disk's for windws 7/64.
    I'd really like to get my computer back up. I don't normally prey but I been considering it. This is a new computer I recently built and my system is set up perfectly with all my programs n stuff. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you have Win7 - what you have is "Vista 2008". Their partitioning rules are identical - amongst other things.

That is why Paragon is identifying it as Vista 2008 7 - no surpirise - they are both nt6 o/s.

The boot menu you see is put there by Paragon during it's restart mode - if it completes, it removes the boot menu.

Did you select the Vista entry on the boot menu?

Otherwise, boot the Paragon cd - select Normal Mode , go to the main screen . Rt click the Hard Disk ( not a partition ) and select Update MBR, then Apply.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

haha I see. TY

Yeah I tried the Vista entry but the screen just goes black with a blinking cursor and no HD activity. I even let it sit or an hour (had to leave the house) and nothing happened.

When I boot from the cd and select normal mode it restarts the computer and comes back to the same menu. There's a timer on the menu so if I don't respond the computer keeps rebooting when the counter reaches zero and will do that over and over. I tried all oter boot options and they restart the computer the same way. I'm not able to get into the HDM in order to use a mouse. The screen says "HDM 2009 Suite" and only has boot options and I gotta use the arrow keys to select.

Thank's

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Strange.

Boot the 7 dvd to system recovery options ( Select "Repair My Computer" at the bottom of the screen that says Install Now).

It will probably go into automated startup repair as soon as you do that.

If not, after it has searched for installations, click Next, click on Command Prompt, type:

bootsect /nt60 all /mbr

then press enter.

Restart the pc.

If you don't have a 7 dvd - you can the exact same options from here:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

LOL - just realised my misstype - your screen probably says Vista 2008 7.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

Did the startup repair and nothing has changed. Thank's for the help/ideas....

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

What did startup do or say ? Did it fix something - find no errors - what?

Did you do the bootsect /nt60 all /mbr command?

Try that first.

Also type : (press enter after each line)

diskpart

lis vol

( make a note of exactly everything it says)

exi

( to leave diskpart)

then type:

bootrec /fixboot

press enter.

Startup repair is convenient - when it works - but not as good as doing it yourself.

7. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

Yeah it said it fixed something and didn't report any errors. After it restarted it just showed the same screen:

Boot from A:
    Win Vista/2008

on the bottom of the screen it says:

"Insert startup disk in floppy drive and press f2 to run setup"

Screen said
    Sucessfully Updated NTFS Filesystem Bootcode
    Sucessfully Updated disk Bootcode

Here's wha it says:
    Volume # Ltr label FS Type Size Status
    Volume 0 D GRMCHPXFRER UDF DVD-ROM 3075MB Healthy
    Volume 1 C NewVolume NTFS Partition 465GB Healthy

Note: it's not showing my boot drive which is two 150GB drives in RAID O so just under 300GB. Shows my current 500GB (C New Volume) backup drive though.. Some reason it's labeled as C but I labeled it as W in windows.

Says "Elements not found" Typed it a few times even without the space..

8. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

On this thread the person was experiencing the same boot problem I have: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=262565

Can one of the forum mods let me try this too?
    Thank you

9. Wigman

Wigman Registered Member

SIW2!!!!!

After doing a buncha reading found out I needed to load my RAID drivers for windows to see mo OS disk's in the recovery mode. I thought it was strange I didn't see anything listed for an os... Anyway after a couple attempts of using your dos commands my compter is back up!! Can't tell you how happy I am about this and just want to say thank you very much for the fast response!. Now all I need to do is learn how to use the HDM properly. Been studying it so hopefully goes well. Gonna be my new hobby till I get it down/working good.

Thank you

Dave

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for the update.

Glad you got it working .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.