astaro security gateway edition comparison

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mack_guy911, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

This seems to be a comprehensive product,does anyone know which AV engines it uses?

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I think it was Kaspersky and clamav at one point :doubt: (?) but what I can tell you is that its 2 av engines in parallel.

4. andyman35

Thanks for that.I've been thinking of trying it out on a few systems.

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Looks like a great security package.

Noticed there is a free version of the firewall only for business users, or most features for home users. Hopefully some users test this out.

6. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

"The Astaro Free Home Use firewall contains its own operating system and will overwrite all data on the computer during the installation process."
    o_O

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic post. Let's keep the discussion focused only on Astaro and not any other product. Thanks!

JR

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I've used the software and virtual appliances, (software installed to older P4 test machine and virtual installed to vmware workstation and player.) Both are free, easy to set up giving strong all over network protection. Would recommend wholehearted:thumb: .

9. andyman35

Good to know that it works as it should,is it fairly light on resources? Also is it fairly user-friendly with regards to pop-ups?

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    This is a *nix based firewall "appliance"...you install it on x86 hardware and it runs in place of your router. It's not a software firewall that you install on your PC. It's a firewall for your network.

So, no performance hit on your own computer(s), no popups, etc.

11. mack_guy911

like YeOldeStonecat said you need a separate machine to run its kinda router/utm distro made of Linux but you dont need to learn Linux for that every thing in browser gui base just like your router

but very powerful enterprise class at free of cost just need a extra machine like for example atom with decent 1-2 gb ram is more than enough to run as utm and take only 17-19 watt power

its made from suse enterprise linux given on forums and use avira antivirus on single mode scanning and on dual scanning you can add clamav antivirus as well great product you can block every thing on gateway mode before coming to your any real pc

which in simple words act like a most powerful internet security suite on your router so 99.9% is blocked on router mode

only limitation is you can use 50 ip to connect means connect 50 machines(pc laptop xbox.....etc) through it on single license at home

untangle and clearOS endian firewall and many other are also great router/utm based products

please check the

astaro videos and demo to get the feel and idea about it

http://www.astaro.com/support/resources/how-to-videos

http://www.astaro.com/resources/astaro-live-demos

edit reason

sorry i was unable to upload more than 5 pics so i am posting here

other features as great firewall ips with more than 8000 pattens against window linux os/servers msoffice .........etc long list lol :D

Attached Files:

12. mack_guy911

there are many features i love about astaro

blocking by extension you can block all .com .exe .cmd .ocx .vbs..........etc lot of them by default added and and allow only sites from which you usually downloads your software and update from like download.com softpedia.com adobe microsoft..........rest sites are blocked for download so if you run it to eicar.org to test for virus it block before even getting virus trigger because of extension which is very helpful as 1st defence against against malware and virus you can add .zip .rar as many as you like to block

also MIME type blocking to block active x java .......etc

please check the videos and demo to get real idea :thumb:

Attached Files:

13. andyman35

Right I'm familiar with what it is now *message to self don't try and absorb data at 4am*

Still I can definitely make use of this on one of the pile of old boxes laying around the place,this would certainly offer very high protection excellent find.:thumb:

14. Templar

Templar Registered Member

These Astaro Gateways look very good.

My favorites are SonicWALL>Fortigate>Cisco
    I'm going to try to find time to check out these gateways, look like they have good application security so now it remains to see how well they do routing, zone handling etc.

Simon

15. mack_guy911

yea its great

please dont forget to share your review on astaro with us...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.