Backup & Recovery 10 - Stop Splitting Archive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by TerryWood, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Recently made Linux recovery CD and I like to do all my backup from the recovery CD as opposed to the installed program.

What I find however is that when I make a backup it splits it into 2GB segments and I cannot change this. You CAN change it if you are backing up from the installed software from the Tools menu. But the latter is not present in the CD version. There is a change selection on the Backup Wizard in the CD but if I change it to no splitting it does not work.

Anyone know a resolution to this please?

Thanks

Terry

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

In Linux, under Tools and Settings, you can change the setting, but will have to do so each time you perform the backup as the changes will be be retained.

3. TerryWood

Hi Paragon Tommy

Thanks for your reply. We are however at cross purposes.

What you say in your reply is correct for the INSTALLED software BT NOT CORRECT for the Linux CD.

If you backup using the Linux CD There is NO TOOLS menu. However if you invoke the Backup Wizard from the Linux CD, on the first page of the Wizard, at the bottom is a tick box "Change Backup Settings", if this is ticked then the second page allows you to DeSelect the "Enable Image Splitting".

When this is done and Saved an image is made. Unfortunately, the image is still split into 2GB segments. So it appears that you cannot produce a single (Not Split) image from the Linux CD

That is what I meant in my previous post, and would like some guidance on how to resolve.

Thanks

Terry

4. Paragon_Tommy

During the Backup Wizard, there is an advanced tab where you can disable the image splitting.

5. TerryWood

Hi Paragon Tommy

Thanks for your reply

What I am saying to you this disabling of the Image Splitting DOES NOT WORK.

It continues to SPLIT even after disabling

Regards

Terry

6. Paragon_Tommy

Oh that's very strange, I will test that on my side soon and report.

7. Paragon_Tommy

Hi TerryWood,

I stand corrected, looks like it did automatically split the images even with the feature disabled. I will forward this to our developers and hope to see a hotfix in the next available build. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  8. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I just want to confirm Terry's findings. I downloaded PBR10-Free a couple of days ago and used the recovery disk to make a backup. I just noticed that my PBR backup resulted in numerous 2.1 GB image files and I'm very sure I unchecked the image-splitting box under Advanced Backup Properties.

Another minor bug is that when the estimated backup time and size were calculated it didn't take into consideration that I selected a Raw backup and therefore, they were way off!

9. TerryWood

Hi Paragon Tommy

Somebody is still not listening at Paragon.

On the first version of Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 I reported that it was not possible to disengage the file splitting so that you just get one file instead of a spawn of them. You agreed that it was not working.

So what do I find on the latest version (Paragon-134-FRE_WinInstallSN_10.0.10.10569_000.msi) IT STILL CONTINUES TO SPLIT the files into 2000 segments.

I despair

Terry

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Terry,

In a complex product such as this, there are always several areas that have room for improvement. I believe they are addressing the more important ones with each new build.

Otherwise, it would be a very long time between builds.

The issue that bothers you is not critical - you can create and restore archives - it is a minor inconvenience. I am sure it will be addressed.

It isn't an issue for the owners of the paid products, as they get the WinPe cd.

You can make your own very easily. How to make a Paragon WinPe3.0 boot disc - post 28 on

If you would like to have a go, let me know how you get on.

I am having a look at putting together a little app. that will do the job, even tho. it is very easy to do it by hand.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  11. Paragon_Tommy

Hello,

This seems to be a problem deeply rooting in the Linux kernel. For the time being, we have no method of unsplitting in Linux-normal mode. Alternatively, you can use the WinPE or BartPE CD.

12. TerryWood

Hi Paragon Tommy

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is getting hold of a BartPE plugin free of going through the hoops, is like gold dust. I know what I say next will appear negative, but in Macrium once its installed you just download the PlugIn to the BartPE folder and Bobs your uncle.

Paragon is such a large outfit that I just cannot understand why I would have to jump through so many hoops to get a product a) that works b) a plugin that others routinely provide. Yet Paragon expects us to put together from previous versions, as per your detailed, but not entirely clear to the unitiated expositions in this forum.

As I said before, I despair, PARAGON IS A MARKETING COMPANY I think NOT.

Let me make clear I am not disparaging your personal efforts in this forum. They are commendable. Its the material you, and we, are working with

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.